Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Backup for Autorouter

In France, if you just call the BRIA, they will work with you to create the flight plan. They’re actually fairly nice about it too and it’s 100% free.

The bonus is that if the Eurocontrol enforced routing is poor, they can “force” it to a better routing. I’ve had to call them just last week because it’s now impossible to file IFR training FPL respecting Eurocontrol constraints from my home airport…

LFLP/LSGL

Autorouter rocks! Period.

ESOW, Sweden

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Why would Autorouter disappear ?

Because it is a service provided for free, out of the goodness of his heart, by a single individual, with no SLA, no guarantee, no fallback and no comeback.

Although it is marvellous, and a day does not go by when I do not thank, bless and appreciate Achim for the way he has improved our lives with Autorouter and Telegram, if you were a commercial organisation doing a risk assessment of your operation this would be a big, clear, bright red.

EGKB Biggin Hill

For filing plan, Eurofpl is pretty handy and simple.
Free for maximum 10 flightplans per month.

Once you have saved all you information (aircraft and PIC), you can set up a flightplan in a few seconds.
You have four ways to create a route :
- manually
- automatic routing
- most frequent routes between two airports from eurofpl users
- and you can re-use your saved route between two airports.

Inconvenient : not very practical on phones
positives : there is an app on which you can very easily delay or modify (altitude, route, etc.) filed plans.

But it is what it is : only a filing app.
there is some simple tools for flight planning (weather, notams, logs) but nothing as full as autorouter.

LFBZ, France

jeff64 wrote:

You have four ways to create a route :
- manually

This is pretty hard for any long(er) route, especially for GA (many different routes) and especially if you want it to be optimal.

- automatic routing

Using which tool?

- most frequent routes between two airports from eurofpl users

Same as above – I know only one person (me) who flies from my base (LDVA) to European airports. And btw airspace is constantly under reconstruction so previously flown routes can easily become invalid (or invalid at certain time/period).

- and you can re-use your saved route between two airports.

Feasible to some extent but since GA enables you to fly anywhere we usually tend to choose new destinations. And last argument from previous quote is also applicable here.

Choosing between AR and RR I would rather become subscriber of AR at any time if service goes commercial.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Using which tool?

I do not know.
The tool which permits to have a valid route between two airports in Europe :D

The website indicates the following :
“Enter basic flight parameters to search our own validated route database, as well as query CFMU’s Route Proposal service simultaneously”

It is not a perfect solution, especially for long trips. But it is a good (and free) backup solution if AR is unavailable during preparation.

Emir wrote:

Choosing between AR and RR I would rather become subscriber of AR at any time if service goes commercial.

+1

LFBZ, France

Filing flight plans is not an issue; there are several ways to do it and, for infrequent flyers, they are free e.g. EuroFPL.

EuroFPL doesn’t work well on a phone but I find it is ok if one zooms in. I use it for VFR flight plans. I don’t the site has seen any development in years…

The issue is how many options there are for Eurocontrol route development. Rocketroute is expensive and seems to go after turboprop/jet users, so we have only one option currently: Autorouter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Foreflight is becoming a viable player – here.

Administrator

FlightPlanPro seems to have officially died. The URL redirects to Rocketroute.

I wonder if @mm_flynn is no longer involved with RR?

The installed program still works however – for many routes.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The installed program still works however – for many routes.

I tried to install some version (I don’t know it it’s recent) to new computer but it doesn’t want to run. Additionally, it’s not aware of many DCTs available and airspace changes in Austria, Hungary etc.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message