Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bahamas

A friend of mine (commercial pilot) invited me to come along on a trip to Nassau, the Bahamas next Tuesday. It would be nice to fly around the area and maybe go to another island. Has anyone flown out of Nassau with a locally based aircraft (preferably a N reg)? Any recommendations for flight school/club/rental company?

If found this school, but was not able to reach them, yet: KA Flight Training Centre.

I know it is not particular “Euro…”, but because it has been a UK colony maybe someone is familiar with the Bahamas ;-)

jkv
EHEH

I toured the whole Caribbean with a N-reg, but out of Tampa.

Nassau per se nothing much to see but head over to Eleuthera, or Abaco.

If you want a little European flavor and something that resembles order fly over to Stella Maris on Long Island. The place is nice and very pilot friendly. Last time there was 2001 or 2002.

KHTO, LHTL

Flying in the Bahamas is great but there is not much infrastructure on the outer islands. So make sure the resort you are looking for is open etc. Or you might end up in the middle of nowhere. Stella Maris is nice but the place needs a makeover. I recommend the north of Cat Island and this resort rather close to the airport at Arthur’s town http://www.shannas-cove.com/english/
Be prepared it is expensive compared to the US as everthing has to be imported. Take care flying. We went to different islands and the runways are long but have no markings at all and the surface is rather rough with some loose stones. If you want to take the famous picture with the plane right next to the beach go to Farmers Cay. Take some care with maintenance as I fear if something breaks on the islands you are in for some trouble.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian I have a special place in my heart for Stella Maris. My kids loved the place and we vacationed there every winter for years. However the weather was too variable and after a while we flew further south. It has been about 15 yrs since we have been there. Im sure it has changed. Does the German family still run and own the place?

The thing we all enjoyed about the place was never having to hear the excuse “Well its the Bahamas” . Breakfast was at 7AM sharp and the cook always showed up.

KHTO, LHTL

One place to check out is Staniel Cay. The runway seems to be “closed for repairs” on account of a couple potholes. Hopefully will reopen soon.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 03 Jun 12:41

I have a special place in my heart for Stella Maris

Yes I think the place is still run by a German family. At first I did not notice but then they had some very German details on the restaurant menu ;-) The place is very nice especially if it gets hot there is always a nice wind blowing. But the maritime climate seems to be very hard on any house, installation etc. The place is now due for some renovation work to bring it back to the old glory. Last year is looked like that:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Better to stay at Cape Santa Maria rather than Stella Maris (at least IMHO). Definitely make sure to see the Blue Holes from the air whilst you are at Long Island.

Hope Town (in the barrier cays) a short ferry ride from Marsh Harbour is worth a visit and short stay, although I didn’t think much of Marsh Harbour itself.

I also rented the following beach house (believe owned by a fellow pilot too) for a week this winter on Little Exuma. Lovely and isolated (for those who like such things)… only saw one other person on the beach the entire week!

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p299137

EGKB

I have done this a couple of times over last 15 years – lots of fun.

Marsh harbour is a personal favourite, with Spanish Cay and Walkers also being very cool!

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message