Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ballyboy (EIMH) 5 June BBQ fly in

Anyone from EuroGA going to this? The weather looks good at least in the west of the British Isles, so I’m considering it.

http://www.ballyboyairfield.com/#!bbq-2016/carv

The Irish Coastguard S-92 helicopter might be there assuming they aren’t out rescuing someone, they give a nice tour of the machine.

Andreas IOM

Great place, wish I were…. have fun!!!

Tököl LHTL

Why not? I’ll file a CTA notice anyway. Let me know if you’re going…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It’s Mad Sunday so we’re not going to be doing anything at the glider club, and the Auster needs to do something on a Sunday so at the moment I’m planning on going.

Andreas IOM

I fought the haze over the Irish Sea today to go there (absolutely no discernible horizon over the sea, the sky just blended into the sea, which makes it hard work because you have to keep a good lookout while at the same time keeping up a good instrument scan – I may have a 70 year old artificial horizon and DG, but I’m really glad they work well!) Ballyboy is a nicely maintained although sloping grass runway, which did make it fun to watch some of the landings :-) They said they had something like 80 visiting aircraft that day, and plenty of locals arrived by car – I have to imagine the event helps keep a positive view of the airfield from people in nearby Athboy. Unfortunately the Search and Rescue S92 helicopter didn’t arrive until after I had to leave, but I did at least see something unique…

… a twin engined airliner that had an Armstrong Starter!

Andreas IOM

Beautiful! I had the pleasure to see this grand old lady at the EBDT Schaffen mid-August event a couple of years ago – well I remember their crew explaining the lack of engine instruments on the dashboard because what there is is on the engine nacelles – but I never realised the hand starting requirement. What a pity the starboard engine took a few more tries before firing.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Alioth,

You might like these photos, received from Flying in Ireland. You might be able to spot yourself

Ballyboy Photo Report

EIWT Weston, Ireland
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message