Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barbeque at Cherbourg LFRC 24 August 2019

It is great that the GA community gathered to thank them and show them some affection. I would have liked to be there but couldn’t.
Thanks Peter_G for bringin your group.

Was there some French traffic too ?

LFOU, France

Edith & Luc will carry on till October when they have been told that they must “clear everything out” – tables, chairs, pictures etc. After 33 years that must be heartbreaking.
They don’t know of anyone else who will take things over.
Without their kind of commitment, the airfield will be a sad place; Even with their presence the place was often like a ghost town with so few movements out of season.
The 24 PPR for customs was the last straw and has definitely killed things completely. Instructors from Jersey & Guernsey – who were present today – recounted that they have stopped using the field (which has a variety of approaches) for training because of it.
Let’s hope somebody somehow can keep a candle of welcome burning there.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

That’s an amazing turnout I would have come but I completely forgot.

Will the shop there disappear?

I never saw much (or any, usually) French traffic (I am told it is too far out of the way) and I am sure that the drop in UK traffic is the direct result of the “previous day PNR” police requirement. Not that the police care at all… not their problem if the airport closes. Not their problem if every airport in France closes. I doubt Cherbourg will close, due to the big nuclear facility nearby.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks to all who came.
Wonderful day: 55+ planes & 170 people.
Edith & Luc – Although saddened that this was their last BBQ were overwhelmed by the friends who came and the support they received.

The weather looks VERY GOOD for Cherbourg this Saturday and for the last BBQ by Edrith & Luc.
Overnighter_Cherbourg_pdf
14+ of us are coming across from Rochester for the Friday night.
I have booked the Restaurant Café de Paris (www.restaurantcafedeparis.com) on the Cherbourg Marina Quai for 19.30L.
If you are in Cherbourg on Friday night, and would like to join us, you would be most welcome. Please email me – [email protected] – if you are coming, so that I can let the restaurant know total numbers.
Peter

Hmmm doesn’t that make this p1sstake of the UK slightly disingenous?

Re the subject of Cherbourg PNR (e.g. here) there was a long running standoff between the airport manager who said it would damage his business and the police. Eventually the police won, and that probably didn’t help with the restaurant there closing. The customers were mostly Brits (on my many visits, there was negligible French aeroclub traffic at LFRC) and having to email the day before would have killed the restaurant business. The couple who ran it may well be retiring but nobody would have taken over the business if nobody goes there.

Administrator

funniest thing was when on departure I called up Deauville FIS and they said “pass your message” They must fall over laughing when they say that.

Not at all. This is standard phraseology in France. Mentioned in GEN1.7.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes it was good to catch up with some old and some not so old faces

I think about 20 planes must have turned up. Mostly UK.

The funniest thing was when on departure I called up Deauville FIS and they said “pass your message” They must fall over laughing when they say that. They will be offering Basic Service next!

We had a few hours spare and got a taxi into the town, which was great.

Administrator

Hope the BBQ went well today – the weather was certainly good for it.
Overnighter_Cherbourg_pdf

You’ll see from the poster that I am organising a ‘Fly-In’ from Rochester for the SATURDAY 24 AUGUST BBQ – THE FINAL ONE.
Any EuroGA flyer would be welcome to join us.

[Moderator: Could you change the title of the post to 24 August. Many thanks. Peter]

I’m coming too. ETA 13.10 local time.

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message