Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Baron PH-CJX down in EDDG

Another tragic incident for GA with a brand new Beech G58 Baron crashed, the two occupants – the owner and an instructor doing the type rating – killed. It was the 6th flight of the aircraft since new, delivered in July 2018….

Here is a link to click on, for those that read german.

EDL*, Germany

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=214261

It will be interesting to learn why.

Lelystad is an especially well maintained and long(ish) runway although currently undergoing extension works. The weather conditions also seem benign. One wonders?

Sorry to hear the news.

PS total conjecture but one sided gear collapse is about the only thing that comes short of an excursion from the runway and object strike.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 10 Aug 21:16

My guess is this has to do with single engine operations rather than the gear. Depends how simulated engine out is done, but it can even be dangerous if the throttle is reduced to idle thrust on one engine and the moment when the student may use both throttles again is not well briefed.

Compensate the yaw with aileron instead of rudder (or even wrong rudder) at low airspeed and high angle of attack and you flip.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 10 Aug 21:54

The accident happened at Munster, not Lelystad.
Maybe they got a little low and slow on a simulated engine-out approach. With the PAPI showing four reds over the fence it probably doesn´t need a lot of power on the “remaining” engine to flip the aircraft over. Going around on one engine being too slow would be another possible reason. I don´t think the airplane flipped over on the ground but in the air. Cartwheeling it on the ground shouldn´t destroy the forward fuselage that much. Anyway, what a sad event and tragedy for those involved. It´s not been a good week at all.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

A new Baron is roughly 1,5 mio dollars… and still if you set too much power on one side it flips over and crashes. In this digital age anything costing that much money should be a little more user centric.
Not saying this was the cause of the accident, but it is sad that someone realizes a dream only to die after 6 flights.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

A new Baron is roughly 1,5 mio dollars

This is one of the owner’s other planes: tragic his life ended in a light twin :(

Steve6443 wrote:

the owner and an instructor doing the type rating

You need a type rating for a light MEP? Is that an EASA requirement?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

You need a type rating for a light MEP? Is that an EASA requirement?

Yes, this

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/EASA-requirements/Ratings/Multi-engine-piston-rating-for-aeroplanes/

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

…errr a class rating for a light MEP single crew, not a type rating.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

…errr a class rating for a light MEP single crew, not a type rating.

That’s what I thought…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message