Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Beechcraft K35 Bonanza

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Asking price was some 50k CHF at the time. It got sold eventually and changed to N-reg. No idea what happened to it.

N388GB (ex HB-EGB)is now based near Kyiv and owned by a well known local aircraft mechanic.

Belgium

@ploucandco a nice UK Aztec ended up also living in Kyiv, I hadn’t realised AvGas was readily available.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

N388GB (ex HB-EGB)is now based near Kyiv and owned by a well known local aircraft mechanic.

Thanks for that @ploucando

I thought it was a great plane and ig it had had the tip tanks I think it might well have become mine.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 07 Oct 06:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Regarding UL91 eligibility of this aircraft…

This is what the TCDS says:

However, the valid POH says this:

And then CN-SC202b says this:

See the first three points under 3 (of which one must be met).

The first one is not met, since the first bit is not met, i.e. the engine is not already approved for UL91.

The second one is not met either.

And the third one even less so.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Feb 09:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

(Discussion continued from here.)

boscomantico wrote:

Regarding UL91 eligibility of this aircraft…

I don’t see the problem. Both the TCDS and the POH agree that as originally certified the aircraft could use AVGAS 100LL. Thus the only question is if Continental has approved IO-470-C for use with UL91. If they have not, then UL91 can’t be used. If they have, then UL91 can be used. Where’s the legal uncertainty?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Feb 10:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@boscomantico does it mean that the AFM is not up to date?
If TCDS clearly says 91/96, then surely that is approved?

EGTR

Continental has not expressively approved any of their engines for UL91 (except I believe the IO-360-AF).

So, it can‘t be used. I was merely a bit certain as to how to read CS202b…

The K35 is an old aircraft. It originally came with an „owners manual“. That owners manual specified 91/96 (leaded) Avgas (which was a thing in the late 50s), just like the TCDS. However, later, POHs became a thing. And in 1982 or so, Beech (then: Raytheon, who had just bought the company) published POHs for all older Beech aircraft, which became the authoritative, FAA-approved manuals for the operation of these aircraft. At that time, 91/96 Avgas didn‘t even exist anymore, hence only 100LL went into the POH. @NCYankee, I hope I got that mostly right.

Anyway, 91/96 Avgas is not UL91, so that point is moot for whether 202b applies here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Feb 10:52

The Owners Manual was not the FAA Approved AFM that came with the airplane from the factory. The original AFM was in n 8.5 by 11 paper document with a thick paper blue colored covers. I asked a friend who still has a copy of the original AFM that came with his K mode. The K35 does not require a POH and the later POH published by Beechcraft don’t supersede the earlier AFM that came with the aircraft. If you have the original copy, it is still valid. Note that in the attached FAA approve AFM for the K35 from my friend, it lists in the limitations section on page 1:

B. Fuel: 91/96 minimum octane aviation gasoline.

I have attached his AFM. If you still have your original, you can follow its limitations.

FAA_approved_AFM_Beech_Bonanza_D6107_K35_pdf

KUZA, United States

boscomantico wrote:

91/96 Avgas is not UL91
I was unaware of this.
ESMK, Sweden

Thank you @NCYankee. I wasn’t aware of that AFM. I have never seen it in this aircraft, but maybe I have not been looking properly. In fact, this aircraft is missing the logs of its first ten years, so possibly, this original went missing as well.

In addition, this aircraft is D-reg. For fun, I have looked up the German LBA’s TCDS (Gerätekennblatt), which can be found here. A bit further down, in the section relevant for the K35, it says:

So, it, too, calls for the FAA-approved AFM, the respective placards, and for the owners manual. It does not call for the Raytheon POH, despite this issue of the TCDS being from 1986. But why would that POH have been published, if it is in no way relevant / binding? Just some CYA exercise by Raytheon at the time?

Do these documents really have to be carried in original, for these requirements to be met? Funnily, to get these manuals, they mention Beech in Augsburg as a source, and while the name has been changed, the company actually still exists! Would a replacement “copy” count as an “original”? (I understand that AFMs are serial-number specific).

These things are one reason why I would hate to operate such an old aircraft on the D-reg. An ACAM check would be a nightmare…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Feb 08:23
Sign in to add your message