Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgium again

As some of you may remember, last year I did a very nice VFR tour through parts of Belgium (and then on to the UK). A trip report is here.

In a couple of weeks, I intend to do something very similar. Again VFR in a 172.

I am looking for pointers at nice airfields (or airfields to avoid). On the last trip, I visited St. Hubert, Cerfontaine, St. Ghislain and Maubray-Tournai.

This short trip will again be mostly about flying (seeing the landscapes from above and checking out new airfields) without much time to see places away from the airfields.

My intention was to maybe fly to:

- Noertrange ELNT
- Namur EBNM
- Amougies EBAM
- and maybe Verhaardsbergen (EBGG), Kortrijk (EBKT) or Moorsele (EBMO)
- since I will bepassing through Belgium on a Sunday, I might even fancy Koksijde (EBFN)

Any advice on these?

Further on, the trip might take me via Eastbourne to Goodwood (EGHR), Lee (EGHF) or Bembridge (EGHJ). Any welcoming farm strips in these areas?

Oh, and since I will need customs airports on the continent, any recent experiences with Lille (LFQQ)? I’ve heard rather bad things about it recently…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EBNM: nice place, sometimes very busy with gliders [[edit: and paradrop too]]
EBAM: ULM only, closed to “E-Klasse”
EBGG Geraardsbergen (sic!) tends to be waterlogged, one more reason to do make the PPR phone call (which is mandatory at all of them) Worth a visit though, if only for the clubhouse which is in a DC-4
EBFN: will require you to buy a year’s “visitor” membership iso landing tax, 50 euro’s is perhaps a bit steep for a single visit… see www.westaviationclub.be
EBMO: beware of paradrop! Brussels info will tell you if they are active.

For customs, EBKT Kortrijk can also serve, but might require prior notice. The AIP says nothing about that, though.

You are not used to it at yours, but the full AIP is freely available online at
http://www.belgocontrol.be/website/eaip/eAIP_Main/html/index-en-GB.html

Last Edited by at 15 Apr 08:23
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks.

EBAM: ULM only, closed to “E-Klasse”

Called them and you are right. Interesting (but also a pity…) since the AIP and NOTAMs don’t say a word about it…

Have an idea why? Was a great option, since they supposedly even offer customs (but maybe that’s wrong, too…)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Apr 08:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A couple of years ago their operational license was withdrawn, or at least there was a threat, by some over-active politician, supported/driven by the local nimby’s. With a great effort they managed to keep at least permission to operate microlights, but no more. Microlights are the only thing really important to the owners/operators, though, they are the distributors for BE and FR of the VL3 microlight. At least one of them was at the VL3 stand at the Aero.

But it is hard to imagine they ever had customs, after all this is a modest recreational field far away from civilisation. In former days there was a lot of glider activity.

And you were lucky to get a reply on the phone, more than once when I called for the PPR I only got an answering machine. Admittedly, that is in the weekend usually.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message