Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgium, England and France – DAY 1 (Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium)

Precisely a year ago, I did a very nice (low and slow) VFR trip through Belgium and France – with a short hop over to the UK. Trip report here.

Since I enjoyed that trip very much, I decided to do something similar again this year (visiting different airfields and places of course).

I normally do trips with friends or family, but once or twice a year, I do also enjoy solitary flights (no good doing “airfield-hopping” with non-pilot passengers…). This was one of these flights and it once again turned out very enjoyable.

Since I have little time at the moment, I will have to divide this one into segments – day by day. Here’s DAY 1.

Departure was again to be from Mannheim (EDFM, south of Frankfurt). This time, the aircraft of choice was my club’s 1999 C172R, D-EIFV. It is VFR-only, but has Mode-S and – most importantly – an autopilot (albeit heading only). Day 1 (Wednesday, 30th of April) was going to be a rather short flying day, since I could not leave in the morning due to other commitments. Also, it turned out that the weather wouldn’t allow a departure before noon anyways. The plan was to head to somewhere in Belgium that day.

Here’s the sat image:

As you can see, quite a bit of cloud in the west of Germany, Luxembourg and the southeast of Belgium. Clear in Brussels.

And here’s the WX radar image. This confirmed: very few showers on the way towards Belgium.

I had made up the general plan to stop for the night in Brussels, where I had never been before. Since I had more than plenty of time to get there, I looked for an intermediate stop somewhere in the south of Belgium, whose landscapes I like so much. Hence the plan to first land at Namur-Suarlee (EBNM) – a good one hour and twenty minutes at C172 speeds. Just like essentially all airfields in Belgium, Namur is “PPR”, but that’s really only a formality (sound familiar…?), so that was obtained by telephone in less than a minute.

Here’s my planned routing:

As you can see, I didn’t really plan “DCT”. That was because I tried to avoid some slightly higher terrain to the north of Trier. I wanted to maximize the “clearance” between the ground and the clouds.

The VFR flightplan was filed through Rocketroute. By noon, the weather enroute (especially in the very west of Germany) was still iffy according to various METARs, so I had to delay my departure by another hour or so. Lots of time to load and prepare the aircraft.

Here she is:

Side note: someone from my club must have seen (on our web-based reservations platform) that I was going on a somewhat longer trip because I found that the aircraft had been fuelled after the last flight of the day before with the note “full” in the aircraft’s tech-log). Well…, how did he know I didn’t need the payload and depart with partial fuel? I have no idea. (Note: with full tanks, this aircraft has a useful load of only 203kgs). And: upon visual inspection, I noticed that the tanks weren’t really 100% full. Since I had the time, I taxied to the pumps and this time I really topped her off. Guess how many litres I managed to add? 15! That’s more than 30 minutes of flying time…

Take-off from Mannheim with OK clouds (didn’t even need special VFR)…

…but so-so visibility towards the west:

As mentioned in the 172 thread, once in cruise at 2500 feet MSL, I settled into fuel-saving (28 lph) and tach-time saving mode.

Most of the time, the weather was quite OK, even though I was still forced to fly rather low.

Occasionally, it became a little darker, but no worries…photos always make the weather look much worse than it really is.

Still flying low…

…I crossed the River Mosel just south of Trier.

As soon as Luxembourg was reached, the weather improved. I was now talking to Luxembourg Approach.

This is Diekirch VOR (usually pronounced “Deekisch” by Belgian controllers ).

I then flew alongside River Wiltz, which was beautiful. I even saw people kajaking.

Belgium greeted me with sunshine, blooming rape fields…

…and quarries. I was now talking to Belga Information who confirmed “no active danger areas enroute to Namur”.

This is the city of Namur, on the River Meuse.

D-FV after landing on runway 24L at EBNM.

I had something to drink at the cafe, chatted with the man behind the desk and paid the landing fee. Here’s a view of the airfield after departure, headed for Grimbergen (EBGB), Brussels’ GA airfield.

Then however, it was time to pay attention to navigation, since I had to squeeze myself between the Chaleroi and Beauvechain CTRs.

And here is a very famous place in Europe…this is Waterloo.

Coming from the south, I then had to fly around most of the Zaventem CTR, since all arrivals to Grimbergen are strictly via LONDI.

To the right, I could just about see the skyline of Brussels.

Turning final for runway 01 at Grimbergen. The runway is grass with hard starter extensions on both ends.

Parked up in the early evening sunshine (…missed the yellow line, though ).

The control tower / admin building and the cafe.

I then took the bus (which stops directly at the airfield entrance) to Vilvoorde train station and then took the train to Brussels Centraal. After sorting out the hotel issue, I did some initial sightseeing and then had dinner. Brussels was packed with people enjoying themselves and the warm temperatures.

To be continued…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 18:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

usually pronounced “Deekisch” by Belgian controllers

which is still less bad than what the locals make of it, cfr. below from lu.wikipedia.org

Dikrech ass eng vun den 12 lëtzebuergesche Stied an déi eenzeg Uertschaft an der Gemeng Dikrech.

========

I was now talking to Belga Information

Mixing up things, I am afraid. In class G, one either talks to Brussels Information (civilian, 126,900) or to Belga Radar (military, 129,325 MHz) Why there’s TWO services assigned, don’t ask me, I’ve always wondered.

========

Funny to see one’s own country, and well known places. through the eyes and lens of a foreigner… A walk through Brussels just before sunset is lovely, of course, the city has much improved over the last few decades. Your pictures give a really good idea of the atmosphere – but watch your wallet, like in any metropolis. The one opportunity you should not have missed is a visit to the aviation museum at the Cinquantenaire. Next time you come along I’d love to show you around!

========

As for Waterloo: instead of photographing the “city” you could have shown the Lion memorial to the 1815 battle. That one served me well as a VRP a couple of weeks ago. For those interested: though the place is today fully French-speaking, the name “Waterloo” is of obvious Dutch etymology; a clear example of Francophone expansionism. Duinkerke (Dunkirk/Dunkerque) is another example.

=========

A good thing that you were aware of the very strict procedures at EBGB Grimbergen, they absolutely need to be respected. Bravo!

Last Edited by at 11 May 18:35
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Brussels is on my list the week after next week.
I’m not really sure whether Grimbergen is suitable for my Commander.

United Kingdom

Wrong.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 19:30

Markus: don’t worry, the runway is quite good. Also, the Commander gear is very robust. Zaventem is 700 Euros. Charleroi and Antwerp are both a little far away.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 20:10

Upon rechecking I can only conclude you were correct – seems they changed the callsign without asking my consent… Your flight prep looks like perfect, sir!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Excellent report! I presume the reason the plane is limited to VFR is something to do with the additional German certification requirements….the panel looks perfectly fine for IFR to me… albeit missing the second European altimeter…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Remember that when Germans talk about IFR, they exclusively mean IFR “on airways”.

The aircraft lacks a DME, which is mandatory for D-reg. aircraft flying IFR. Also, a two-axis AP is required for single-pilot IFR in a D-reg. And yes, on top of that, the avionics would have to be checked every year (instead of every two years) to make it legal for IFR. Oh, and don’t forget about 8.33…

BTW, not all european countries mandate a 2nd altimeter for IFR under their reg. (Germany does.)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 20:36

Very inspiring report, as always!

Incidentally, I traveled the same route a few weeks back – overland: From a business meeting in Walldorf (that’s a bit revealing, I suppose) to a climbing weekend in Freyr and along the river Meuse. I would have much preferred flying over the (admittedly nice and enjoyable) 4 hour drive with a short stop in Luxembourg, but it was just not practicable.

I can recommend to anyone visiting the region to plan for a stop in Freyr. It’s a beautiful little town with some interesting rock formations.

Just don’t stay at Splendid Palace Dinant. The hostel has the charme of a mid century madhouse, is actually (!) located in the Avenue de la Déportation and the owner invents charges as he sees fit (for example 3 EUR “parking” per day/per bike for those of us who brought their mountain bikes).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

From a business meeting in Walldorf (that’s a bit revealing, I suppose)

Oh dear!!

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message