Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best airport for s'-Hertogenbosch

Need to go in a couple of weeks. Passengers will need to hire a car and will be arriving from UK. Looking for any option other than Eindhoven. Ideas?

EGTK Oxford

Arriving from UK, thus requiring customs? If so, few options and I should think you know them: EBAW Antwerp, EHRD Rotterdam, EHAM Schiphol, EHBK Maastricht.
But what’s wrong with Eindhoven?

Or could customs (well, immigration actually) be arranged at EHBD Budel? The AIP says no, but perhaps it is worth inquiring? Then again, I’m not sure there is a car rental service.

Last Edited by at 23 Jan 00:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I believe eindhoven is not very open?p (military .. Limited capacity)

Rotterdam has handling (above 2 tons) but other then that very relaxed and 07.00-23.00 operations (local time). Excellent approaches.

Budel is also anoption however you first need to fly the approach with a local. Operations are more limited.

Considering you are flying for business and want to be flexible, I would chose Rotterdam.

Den Bosch or ’s-Hertogenbosch is probably 45 minutes by car?

Last Edited by Commander at 23 Jan 05:56

There is really nothing special with Eindhoven. We fly there all the time. PPR for civilian traffic, but that is just a formality. Fees are a bit on the expensive side, but they have excellent facilities (like passenger/crew lounges). The times when this was a military base and only Philips was granted civilian use are long over.
Gilze-Rijen to the west may be an option, they have ILS and customs but strange opening hours.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I had heard Eindhoven was hard but sounds not. It is closest so prob best then.

EGTK Oxford

Quick stop at EHMZ for customs (not sure if it’s PPR for customs, but good to call ahead nevertheless, if only for the runway – grass – state), then onwards to EHBD. If you call EHBD ahead they must be able to arrange a taxi or rental car. Watch the approach into EHBD though – it’s formally in the Kleine Brogel CTR but there’s an SRZ that extends to 1200’, so you can fly to Budel without talking to Kleine Brogel. And there are fairly strict noise abatement routes for both GA and microlights.

Another option is EHRD. 24H customs on-site and the local flying club (Vliegclub Rotterdam) is now an official handling company for light GA. I think you only pay 25 euros for handing and such, and that includes a fair amount of parking time.

EHEH will be a lot more expensive, unless you can arrange handling through the local aeroclub (EACm).

(slight topic shift)

I am surprised to learn that Gilze-Rijen should accept civilian traffic. I always understood this is the basic training base for the Dutch Air Force, so should see more or less intensive use. I was aware of some recreational flying the weekends, by gliders; and also there is some work on veteran aircraft, they have a DHC Beaver and wasn’t there a B25 at one time too? But I could never imagine one can bimble in with anything else civilian.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I am surprised to learn that Gilze-Rijen should accept civilian traffic.

I can only refer to my Jeppesen which says: Apt Operator CIV PPR (070) 3397073 fax: 3396373. The opening hours are given as: PPR 24hr. 0800-1530 (0700-1430). Customs: 30min PNR.

So they seem to accept civilian traffic at certain times. How easy or difficult it is get the permission I don’t know.

Here are the Dutch AIP pages of EHGR (through Rocketroute):

Link

Last Edited by what_next at 23 Jan 11:23
EDDS - Stuttgart

Forget EHGR. They’re 100% military and have no civilian handling role. You’ll only get permission to land there if you have business on the field itself. And even then it may take several days for the permission to come through. The same goes for other 100% military fields in NL: EHWO, EHLW and so forth.

Only mixed military/civil fields like EHEH will welcome you, because they have a civilian handler on the field.

Also refer to EHAA AIP, section AD 1.1 para 3: “Occasional use of military aerodromes by civil aircraft”. Note that a request to land at EHGR needs to be made in writing two weeks prior to the flight, directly to the RNLAF.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 23 Jan 12:28

Checkout EHSE (Breda International Airport, formally known as Seppe) just west of Breda. Probably as far from ’s-Hertogenbosch as EHBD. Asphalt runway.

Or Hilversum (EHHV) 3 grass runways.

MrT
EHHV
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message