Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best Airports for NVFR Training in Corsica and Sardinia

I’m planning to do a trip end of October (but before 28th Oct, i.e. we will still be in summer time) to Corsica and Sardinia with my CFI.

So while we are there, I would like to do the complete night VFR syllabus (i.e. 5h flying, 5 full stop solo landings), but he said it would be very difficult to do that there. However, it seems there are some 24h airports. And in Italy, it seems touch and go’s are even for free? So ideal for training then?

For example LIEA Alghero – Fertilia has 24 ATC, so it should be ideal to do like 10 touch and go’s and then maybe fly to a smaller/cheaper airport for doing the 5 solo full stop landings.

Has anyone done NVFR there? Any suggestions?

Switzerland

anyone who can point me to the right direction?

Switzerland

It would be very difficult. In Italy, most of
bigger airports ban night VFR for fixed wing. Alghero and Olbia do.

In Corsica, you have Bastia, Calvi, Ajaccio and Figari as “airports”. You would have to study very carefully the respective AIPs for training restrictions or similar. I think Figari also bans VFR at night. I would check Bastia.

Yes, unfortunately, training for night and IFR ratings has become very difficult in most parts of Europe, due to various restrictions and bans. Germany and France ar still your best bets coming from Switzerland.

Then you still have to get fuel somewhere. And you have to
clear customs as well!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Oct 06:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I think Figari also bans VFR at night.

IIRC Calvi as well.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There is a fairly obvious terrain related reason why Calvi doesn’t do night VFR

The UK allows it, FWIW. Loads of NQ training is done here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ended up doing it in the south of France, Corsica/Sardinia is basically impossible. And thanks for the replies!

Switzerland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message