Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Better ways for wearing O2 cannulas?

10 Posts

Currently I use the O2 cannulas that came with the SR22 from Precise Oxygen. To put it on one has to sling it over the head and then you have two tubes left and right on your face. In the back they go over the ears. One gets used to it but there is quite a bit of entanglement.

The other issue is that flying from cold to warm climate you want to shed some of the warm clothing while still in flight. Plus the sun does heat quite good through the windows. Then the O2 tubes and the headset cable are in the way.

What other ways are there to solve this? I’ve heard about Oxy Arm Aviator

Frequent travels around Europe

The Mountain High boom cannula is highly recommended: http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/face-masks/cannulas/82-ez-breathe-ii

This Oxy Arm Aviator and the Mountain High boom seem comparable. Speaking for the latter; it is perfect.
Changing clothing is just a matter of putting your headset off for a short while. Eating, drinking or back at lower no O2 level, just turn the boom up.

EHLE Lelystad

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

What other ways are there to solve this?

Pressurisation?

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Pressurisation?

What do you fly, Jason? I saw several hints it’s a jet but is it your private one or at work?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

You need to catch up with this and this, @Vladimir

LFPT, LFPN

Seems like I have to catch up with a lot of things, from O2 cannulas to a special type of horse

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The other issue is that flying from cold to warm climate you want to shed some of the warm clothing while still in flight. Plus the sun does heat quite good through the windows. Then the O2 tubes and the headset cable are in the way.

I have not found a way to avoid this issue.

What would help is oxygen outlets fitted in the aircraft trim, like you get on most turbocharged types which have a big cylinder in the back. That tidies up the pipework. But it lands you with big costs when that cylinder comes up for pressure testing etc; the maint shop will probably want an EASA 1 form from the test company.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

I was with my GF on a flight at FL160 when she wanted to grab something from the back of the AC.
She took off her headset and cannula. After about 5 minutes when see was back her O2 level was still about 91%.
I know that’s very little data, but it seems that when you’re at 99% saturation on FL160 you can do quite some time without additional O2 before your saturation level get dangerously low.

lenthamen wrote:

I was with my GF on a flight at FL160 when she wanted to grab something from the back of the AC.
She took off her headset and cannula. After about 5 minutes when see was back her O2 level was still about 91%.

It’s very personal – my wife doesn’t go below 88-90% at FL140-160 measured several times over 30 min time-span being without oxygen and without pre-breathing. After breathing oxygen and making 5 min break off, she goes to 95%. My values are much lower.

Last Edited by Emir at 02 Nov 13:10
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message