Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boids. Dirty... disgusting... filthy... lice-ridden boids (birds)

I spent most of yesterday at Stuttgart Airport waiting for passengers to return, and I noticed that there was a huge flock of starlings, many, many thousands of them, all over the airfield flying across the approach and across the runway almost continuously.

What amazed me was the willingness of the airliners to keep taxying, landing and taking off, right through them.

I am sure that in my day we would have shut down and waited for the birds, maybe the pilots have got bolder since then?

What do people think?

Oh, and if you didn’t get the thread title:

Last Edited by Timothy at 19 Jul 17:47
EGKB Biggin Hill

I find that quite refreshing, especially compared to the shutdown of an airport because there was a drone sighted hours ago

Biggin Hill

You do get some huge birds which are quite brave and just stand there as you taxi past. At Ouessant recently we had to scare off dozens of them which covered a whole runway end. One of them in the prop and you can forget about flying anywhere after that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not quite the same thing but two ducks block my parking space at the office. EVERY DAY.

No amount of creeping towards them in the car, flashing lights, honking horn, gesticulating out of the window will encourage them to move. The only solution is to get out, shoo them off, and quickly run back to the car and jump back in and pull out before they set up station again.

Remember many years ago as the Flying Doctor Becch 55 had to chase cows off the bush strip in Tanzania and one bull standing solid just looking at the twin and not moving.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message