Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bolzano LIPB - how to get from STAR to the IAP?

Normally there is a path from a STAR to the platform altitude of the IAP.

But here you have e.g.

and

I am not reading the plates in detail but it looks like you are supposed to descend in the hold, but that appears contrary to the warnings there.

I can’t fly this IAP anyway under IFR (special crew authorisation etc) but might ask for it in VMC, after cancelling IFR, as it would be really interesting and obviously scenic. OTOH ATC might not allow it, for all kinds of reasons. On a nice weekend (tomorrow), these GA airfields tend to be manic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am not reading the plates in detail

Why not? That is step #1 to prepare for the approach, no?

FL120 at FORER then from FORER to IBZ and after FORER descent to 6400 ft, after D9.5 IBZ to 5360 ft etc.

FORER is D22 from IBZ DME, the inset plan view has a route from FORER to D9.5 IBZ with a minimum altitude of 6400. The profile view starts at D9.5 IBZ at 6400’.

So you are suppose to descend from FL120 to 6400 between D22 and D9.5 IBZ.

The confusing thing about this plate is that the profile view doesn’t begin at the IAF or IF. So the platform altitude really is FL120, but that’s not very clear.

I had to read the AIP plates before I realised this. In the AIP the profile view does start at the IAF (D22 IBZ).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Aug 08:32
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Why not? That is step #1 to prepare for the approach, no?

Because I was out, walking halfway around Losinj

In the AIP the profile view does start at the IAF (D22 IBZ).

Hmmm… thanks for that. I do wonder why Jepp drafted it thus. Normally it is the other way round; they fix errors and ambiguities in the AIP (Albenga was one case I recall). The AIP version:

So this IAP is not complicated. You fly to FORER (using one of several approaches) and then you need to be receiving the IBZ localiser, set up the VS according to the GS and the table, and check off the check altitudes on the way down.

A few people I know have commented that it is a pretty scary approach to fly… I wonder what the enroute IFR controller is going to allow, for an aircraft cancelling IFR and reporting VMC?

Administrator

In these situations (e.g. Lugano LSZA, where i’m returning on Sunday), I ask follow the procedure, remaining VFR

Its not something I want to try in the wintertime IMC. The plane better have great performance and with 75% of MTOW landing AND THEN 90-100% MTOW when departing there is no room for error like through a Mt wave or two. So you have to have no schedule and be flexible time wise for just the right day. But then again if you dont take on fuel the situation is better but still has a lot of variables.

KHTO, LHTL

In IMC it is likely to be icing conditions at the IAP platform, even in the summer. That is likely to mess up a non-deiced rate of climb…

I could have gone in there with a 10,000ft cloudbase because the spot elevations (last chart above) are well below that, but I didn’t fancy having to divert from Bolzano all the way to Shoreham, haggling with ATC all the way for the next 4-5 hours and possibly having some clearance declined and be forced to land. The longest diversion I have done was from St Yan LFLN to Shoreham EGKA (some 300-400nm) but French ATC know perfectly well how to route a plane from there to the UK, and they don’t have another country to negotiate with.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

So you are suppose to descend from FL120 to 6400 between D22 and D9.5 IBZ.

Yes. And that is (give or take) consistent with the descend gradient indicated on the approach plate (692’/NM)

LFPT, LFPN

Here is the video of the full LOC 01 procedure. For legality (for IFR, it needs aircraft and crew approval by Italian CAA) it was flown under VFR. 1080P 50fps video. You can download the original 3GB file from Vimeo, using the Download feature.

I am still editing the full Bolzano trip video. The above is just the approach procedure.

Administrator

Stunning scenery !
You need to update your watch to +2 minutes :-)
Does your GPWS have any inhibit option/switch ? it does a good job but sometimes you need to temporarily inhibit the visible & obvious.

LGMG Megara, Greece
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message