Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza vs windmill 1:0

From a French accident report (French only).

http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2008/n-te080404/pdf/n-te080404.pdf

I guess a shock load inspection is in order for the windmill.

Last Edited by achimha at 05 May 16:45

I’d say that guy is lucky … That’s a Baron, by the way, ;-)

A Baron is a Bonanza with 2 Engines.
That plane is for sale, with new paint.

Achim wouldn’t it 2:0? He knocked down 2 windmills.

United Kingdom

I think the final score was actually 2:0 to the Baron…

Unlike the UK, French wind farms tend to have medium- or high-intensity white flashing lights on each turbine, so I wonder to what extent that might have helped avoid a head-on…

Anyway, full marks to the pilot for following the three Emrgency Basic Rules:

1. Maintain aircraft control – tick.
  2. Analyze the situation – wings shorter, ailerons tango uniform, hey now it flies just like a Maule…
  3. Land as soon as conditions permit – tick.
Last Edited by Jacko at 05 May 17:37
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Different types have different names, becasue they’re different. But you know that :-)

Cause identifiée: obstination à atteindre la destination, en régime de vol à vue, par conditions météorologiques défavorables. (Probable cause: attempt to reach the destination under visual flight rules in adverse meteorological conditions.)

Have we heard that one before?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 May 17:57
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Apparently God does look after fools and drunks!

EGBP, United Kingdom

Well, I wouldn’t be so keen to cast a stone – even if I was without sin. The weather can be treacherous there and off-airport precautionary landing is prohibited in France.

The whole point of publishing accident reports is to learn from them, not to throw rocks. People who abuse that principle risk undermining the integrity and reliability of the accident report system.

The Baronista got (what was left of) his machine on the ground in one piece. No one hurt. Nothing else matters. I take my hat off to him.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

“Off airport precautionary landings forbidden in France” Where do you have that from, please ?

EGTF, LFTF

off-airport precautionary landing is prohibited in France.

That would surprise me. Please provide a reference.

During my last SEP renewal flight the instructor emphasized the subject of off-airport precautionary landings, as opposed to power-off landings.

I would think this is assimilated to an emergency, and in such case you just need to do whatever it takes to get down safely.

LFPT, LFPN
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message