Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Books for getting up to speed on EASA

After a 10 year hiatus I have decided to get back into flying. So I need a refresher not only on the class rating, but I also need to get up to speed on the theory. I’m sure I can rely on my 15-year old old PPL books for principles of flight, meteorology, navigation, etc., but for air law it might be worth looking into something more recent.

I’ve looked at Jeppesen’s Air Law and Communications, Pooley’s Air Law & Meteorology as well as the Swedish Luftfartssystemet och flygoperativa procedurer till PPL-utbildning.

Any recommendations?

Sweden

I wouldn’t recommend diggging into books much.
What you need to get up to speed with is GPS systems, tablets, apps, etc., as well as airport publications, flightplan filing, modern weather products, etc., none of which you will learn by reading books.

Then there is Part-NCO, SERA, etc. which, in it’s latest incarnations, you will not find to be covered well in most books probably.

Seriously: for practical purposes, what I recommend you should do is get heavily involved in a forum such as this one, ask loads of questions, give your answers to other threads, read trip reports, etc. for say half a year. That will be very useful and enlighting. But it requires a little bit of a thick skin.

@Airborne_Again (also from Sweden) was in a very sinilar situation some years ago, and he now is our top airlaw guru. I am sure he can help you a lot, possibly by doing some type of “mentoring”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Jul 15:59
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

https://www.easa.europa.eu/regulations

Read mainly Aircrew (Part-FCL) SERA (Rules of the Air) and Air Operations (Part-NCO). You’ll recognise a lot of it from 15 years back.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Jul 15:59
LFPT, LFPN

Welcome to EuroGA, Schjetne

The regulations are way too dry. I would fall asleep within an hour…

Yes, participating on EuroGA is a lot more productive. No really thick skin needed however because – unlike most aviation forums – it is moderated so e.g. personal attacks are not allowed.

I am assuming that you are not having to re-sit any of the exams. If you do, then computer question banks are the best way. Especially for Air Law.

I’ve been flying since 2000 and actually little has changed. The main change is the tablet based GPS nav products which are in common use today e.g. EasyVFR, Skydemon, and more recently Foreflight (the market leader in the USA) is making a move into Europe. A lot of people don’t use paper charts at all, and some countries don’t publish them, or don’t publish any which are of any use. Notams are heavily used for distributing important stuff. The weather services have not changed much, especially for VFR which still runs mostly on tafs and metars.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve been flying since 2000 and actually little has changed.

Ops regs have not changed (much) for you, since you are flying N-reg. If Schjetne is going to fly SE-reg (s)he will find that part-NCO means major changes compared to the old Swedish regs. Fortunatly, the changes are mostly for the better.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Part-NCO would also apply to N-reg aircraft operations if the aircraft operator is based in Europe (however that is defined as it is not).

It is Part-M which does not apply to N-reg aircraft.

And depending on what is happening to derogations next year, Part-FCL will at some point apply as well… :(

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Books for getting up to speed in EASA

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

EGTK Oxford

Yes; N-reg does not help me except with maintenance. There are no airspace related privileges that I know of.

The only other thing is that, currently, until April 2019, I can fly on FAA papers only which saves a bit of work and expense. For UK based pilots this involves sending some “certified” documents to the CAA, for others it is different. But this concession is getting more marginal every year.

The way ATC works and the way one flies in European airspace has not changed for many years, VFR or IFR. I also don’t think anybody wants it to change…

Some changes in IFR (Eurocontrol) flight plan formats e.g. post-2012 you have to include a PBN specification. But any flight plan filing agency will do that for you (or require you to configure the equipment string).

The options I had for “getting weather” in say 2003 would scare the hell out of me today

That’s an interesting book Jason but some level of “communist block cultural immersion” would help with absorbing it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

I wouldn’t recommend diggging into books much.
What you need to get up to speed with is GPS systems, tablets, apps, etc., as well as airport publications, flightplan filing, modern weather products, etc., none of which you will learn by reading books.

Peter wrote:

I’ve been flying since 2000 and actually little has changed. The main change is the tablet based GPS nav products which are in common use today e.g. EasyVFR, Skydemon, and more recently Foreflight (the market leader in the USA) is making a move into Europe. A lot of people don’t use paper charts at all, and some countries don’t publish them, or don’t publish any which are of any use. Notams are heavily used for distributing important stuff. The weather services have not changed much, especially for VFR which still runs mostly on tafs and metars.

I got X-Plane 11 a while back and found it wholly unsatisfying, hence the need to get back in the air for real. But I suppose it could be useful as a Garmin 430 and EFB trainer. One question is to make a clean break with the past and go all-in with an EFB, or start the old-fashioned way with an E6B and transition gradually. Last time I was flying I only used paper charts, E6B, pilotage and an occasional VOR, and the planes were rarely GPS-equipped.

Though I tried doing my weight and balance on a PDA, but was told I’d never pass a ramp check with it. That’s something I have trouble actually finding official sources for, what hardware and software combinations are approved as replacements, and what are only to be treated as supplements. A Jeppesen sales rep told me only theirs and newly released Foreflight Europe was approved, but a sales rep would say that, I suppose.

boscomantico wrote:

Then there is Part-NCO, SERA, etc. which, in it’s latest incarnations, you will not find to be covered well in most books probably.

Aviathor wrote:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/regulations

Read mainly Aircrew (Part-FCL) SERA (Rules of the Air) and Air Operations (Part-NCO). You’ll recognise a lot of it from 15 years back.

So I’d better go straight for the source for the regs. Makes sense.

boscomantico wrote:

Seriously: for practical purposes, what I recommend you should do is get heavily involved in a forum such as this one, ask loads of questions, give your answers to other threads, read trip reports, etc. for say half a year. That will be very useful and enlighting. But it requires a little bit of a thick skin.

I certainly will, thanks!

Last Edited by Schjetne at 17 Jul 07:33
Sweden

Schjetne wrote:

Though I tried doing my weight and balance on a PDA, but was told I’d never pass a ramp check with it.

There are so many “beliefs” that are perpetuated by people who “know it all”… During a ramp check I think that what they could legitimately be looking for is that you used the empty weight and moment arm from the current W&B sheet for the aircraft. They have no legal basis for making you demonstrate how to compute the W&B. During the skill test, the examiner might, however. I use the W&B sheet in the Autorouter briefing pack stored on my iPad. The only thing I print these days is the PLOG (navigasjonslogg)

This is why you would better served reading the regulations, and learning what to find where so you can look it up and make up your own mind, rather than taking such statements for granted.

LFPT, LFPN
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message