Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brac LDSB in the winter?

It is open, 24hrs PNR, and AFIS (not ATC)

I often wonder what the islands are like in the winter. They are 5-15C warmer than the UK and a lot less wet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They are very nice! Some years ago I spent two weeks in Hvar over New Year. Strong winds and big waves sometimes, warm enough for a streetside coffee on others. The one thing I would avoid FLYING there is the Bora, which can be really heavy, and I am pretty sure there will be bad turbulence if you approacsh LDSB from the south. I even had that once in summer, and it can feel pretty scary to fly towards that steep cliff when it’s bumpy ..

One of the most miserable experiences of my life was spending three days in my apartment on Solta in February. Howling gales, driving rain, freezing cold and what you don’t think about until you’re there: summer apartments have no insulation and no heating!!!
Also it’s deserted. restaurants are all closed, ferry timetable reduced.
I accept that Brac, being a bigger island, might have more to offer in the winter but I’m in no rush to find out. I’ll have to content myself with the in-laws ski apartment in the Swiss Alps!

Forever learning
EGTB

Well, SOLTA is desterted in the winter. But the town of Hvar is a functioning small town even in winter, with open hotels, restaurants and bars. ThereÄs a great New Years Eve party on the main square too. I would only recommend Hvar and Korcula in the winter, i am not sure about Bol on Brac, will be pretty deserted too. So the trick is to land in Brac and to find a boat to get you over to Hvar! Or land in Split, take the Bus and go to Hvar by fast ferry in 40 minutes.

What’s true is that many of the summer apartmentmenst don’t have heating. I remember heating with the stove one winter. But you can find one with (electric) hearing too.

I once drove down the coast to Zadar during a Bora, during the last week of December. I’d estimate the wind was steady at 40 kts continuous. At Novi Vinodolski we stopped at the harbor and found the bar plenty busy, but nobody was venturing outside! Not weather that I’d like to be flying in, in anything… We almost blew away.

Zadar has an extra runway aligned with the wind, I guess

When does the Bora blow?

Why doesn’t the UK get names for any of its winds?

I would think Supetar on Brac would be OK in the winter. Bol is just a tourist spot but Supetar

is a proper functioning town.

Hvar

is a short boat trip from Supetar.

Administrator

It’s better to find a boat from BOL to Starigrad on Hvar, and from there you can take the bus to the TOWN of Hvar, which is only like 15 km. Or you go to Split and take the fast boat to Split!

Yes – I got it wrong. From Bol you can get a boat to Hvar, and from Supetar you can get a boat to Split.

Administrator

It may be of interest that I contacted Split LDSP regarding using their ILS for a letdown, when there is nobody in the Brac LDSB tower.

The reply was – no problem, but in the field 18 of the flight plan just put RMK/ REQ ILS APP AT LDSP.

Administrator

Having lived in the Med for some years and spent most of the last 20 winters there, let me tell you that the Med in winter isn’t the great place it’s made out to be. Sure, you may have balmy days – and then it’s great. BUT you are more likely to be shivering in an unheated / badly heated place with no insulation to speak of looking out into the rain. It’s ok in big cities (in my case this was Malaga and Seville), but further out you’re faced with shuttered shops and restaurants.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message