Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brasserie des Aviateurs, Calais

Three of us decided on lunch there today for the first time since Freddy left. Headwinds delayed us a bit and we walked in to the restaurant at 14:10. there were other people eating so we anticipated no problem. What we got was a Gallic shrug of indifferance and the news that there was nothing to eat. No cooked lunch, not even bread and cheese so after a cup of very average coffee we upped and left.

It seems crazy to me that in these financially difficult times a restaurant owner would turn away business. If your restaurant is in an isolated location I would have thought an owner would grab the chance to take some extra Euros. Sadly we will not return.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Contrast that with the following episode in the US:

Last year I flew with a friend to a place called Hemet on the south-eastern fringe of the L.A. basin for lunch. Like you, we got delayed a bit. Just as we parked the airplane in front of the little restaurant, the woman you manages it came rushing out and up to us (mind you, this was a twin and the engines were still running!), telling us that she was about to close and didn’t have any hot food left. But, if we wanted, she could rustle up a salad or some sandwiches. Done deal, while the employees started to clean the place we had a very nice cold lunch……

That said, to be fair to the owner of the Brasserie des Aviateurs: running ANY business in France is a nightmare. The labor laws are a sick joke and the madness of the 35-hour week makes any flexibility almost impossible. I wouldn’t be surprised, if serving you would have cost the guy 4-5 times as much as he could have charged you. Doesn’t excuse the attitude, though.

Last year I flew with a friend to a place called Hemet on the south-eastern fringe of the L.A. basin for lunch.

Hah! This bring back very fond memories – I did my first cross country solo flight during training to Hemet last year. That smile on my face on the picture below? Surely, it’s got to do with a bit of a sense of accomplishment at the time. But it’s also because of the very friendly atmosphere in that restaurant and the awesome tuna melt sandwich.

I also liked their wall deco:

Cheers,

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Thanks for the warning, Peter. We considered flying to Calais yesterday, but decided to go to Lille LFQQ instead because there are better options to do some instrument approaches.

We had a late lunch (around 15:30) at the airport restaurant Yours on the 1st floor. The “Plat du Jour” was actually quite tasty! It was Salmon with risotto.
Price quite reasonable: 14EUR for a menu (a drink and coffee included).

The ride back home was real quick, with a 40kts tailwind :-)

Thanks for the tip – we actually went to Lille yesterday as well but did not stop having been put off by the rather deserted atmosphere of the GA terminal. We will know better next time.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I think that is the real problem: as long as that airport can’t find a way to attract more traffic, it will be impossible to operate a bar/eatery, and earn one’s living from it. Even if the French social and tax lawx don’t help, either.
Ah, where are the days of Freddie Laker’s Freighters and Carvairs…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

IMHO, none of the French northern coastal destinations even remotely approaches flying into Le Touquet and walking/biking/taxi into town and eating there.

Cherbourg has a good airport restaurant / wine shop and I go there probably a few times a year, to meet up with someone. The town has very little except the superb marine museum with its nuclear missile submarine.

That’s about it, I think.

Le Touquet fills right up on a nice weekend day but most of the people go into town to eat. So much nicer than eating at any airport restaurant.

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Mar 16:04
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip – we actually went to Lille yesterday as well but did not stop having been put off by the rather deserted atmosphere of the GA terminal.

You need to call the handling agent and a handsome French student girl will come to pick you up with a van.
Handling is only 8EUR. For that price she will take off her shoes when passing the security check ;-)

Lille is a nice destination for a night flight. They’re open 24H. The city is a short taxi ride.
It has nice musea, a historical city center and the famous seafood/fish restaurant Huitriere http://www.huitriere.fr

It can wholeheartedly recomend the Huitrere in Lille, the food is superb, all in all Lille is a good Nightstop having been based there for six months I found it difficult to get a bad meal.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message