Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

If it is a G reg and ICAO certified probably yes. If its not you’ll probably need an agreement from the CAA in which you are going to fly, unless of course the UK CAA has a bilateral agreement with the country concerned or with EASA. I believe that is the system for an American pilot coming to France and wishing to fly F reg on his FAA licence. I think its roughly the same process as when we go to the USA and wish to fly N reg on the back of our EASA licence.

France

Neil wrote:

Because to get a towing rating you need dual instruction, which is difficult in a single seater?

You don’t need dual instruction. People in my club have got their tow ratings on Pawnees according to EASA rules. Of course there is an instructor in the glider during the training.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

will a current holder of a UK CAA issued EASA ppl be able/ allowed to fly an EU registered aircraft after the 1/1/2021 in EU airspace.?

AFAIK the current Brussels negotiating position is that UK issued licenses/ratings will become invalid after brexit.

They remain valid for G-reg aircraft, of course. That is straight ICAO.

Is Cyprus in “EU airspace”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

I think its roughly the same process as when we go to the USA and wish to fly N reg on the back of our EASA licence.

There is no equivalent procedure. A licence granted converted or validated under the EASA Aircrew Regulation is normally required to fly a non-Annex I civil aircraft registered in and controlled by an EASA member state regardless of where the aircraft flies. The regulation imposes a time limit on validations but allows member states, as an alternative to a validation, to accept a declaration for specific non-commercial tasks limited to 28 days per year. See articles 3 and 8 and annex III. Some member states like UK have granted an exemption to holders of US pilot certificates pending the coming into force of a US–EU/EFTA/Swiss BASA–IPL some time in the coming century.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 14 Mar 12:50
London, United Kingdom

Yes Cyprus is in the EU and EU airspace and part of EASA….the aircraft is D (German)reg and my license is CAA issued EASA licence…so can I continue to fly this aircraft IN EU airspace with my license…thats the question..I cannot seem to get a simple yes or no on this one….thks

LGMG, Cyprus

No, assuming it is an EASA aircraft.

Unless a new exemption is created, the regulations change, or a suitable bilateral agreement covering licensing is made. As none of these seems likely you should consider changing the state of issue of your licence. Do not leave any change of state application to later than the start of autumn.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik…thank you indeed…you have confirmed my suspicion…I will have to do so then…all the best.

LGMG, Cyprus

For what it’s worth, my understanding is the same as Qalupalik’s.

Change the state of your licence as soon as you can’t. Don’t wait until the last minute.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I changed my SOLI to Austria last year. Very straightforward process on the AustroControl end, rather involved (unnecessarily so – you need your license certified by the ‘Head of Training’ of a CAA – licensed ATO. Mind you, that’s a license the CAA have issued ! Just beggars belief) ) on the CAA end. I would advise get going soon, it takes a few months.

@172driver Where will you do your type revalidations?

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message