Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

@Coda in Austria. Have been doing them there for years, even while I was still CAA licensed. You can do them with any EASA FI / FE in any EASA country.

172driver wrote:

You can do them with any EASA FI / FE in any EASA country.

In theory I am trying to plan my SEP reval, and I am not sure CZ CAA will allow me to do that in the UK, especially after the end of the year. I may just give up and go to CZ for a flycation.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

I will start the relocation process Monday…is there any down time involved in the process…ie do you have to surrender the current license and wait for the new one….for those of you that have gone thru the process…thks

LGMG, Cyprus

Who are you going to? I can give advice on CAA to AustroControl if that helps…

EGJJ, Channel Islands

Yeah, AustroControl seems to be the CAA of choice. There are several forms on the CAA website, download them and get going. I would strongly suggest to start the process sooner rather than later!

Coda wrote:

In theory I am trying to plan my SEP reval, and I am not sure CZ CAA will allow me to do that in the UK, especially after the end of the year.

If the UK really leaves EASA at the end of the year, then you’re prob90 correct. That said, there may well be some FI/Fe who has dual papers, much as my AME has.

The down time depends on the new authority. The Irish Aviation Authority for example will not issue a new licence until the old one has been handed over while TBST in Denmark and Kiwa in the Netherlands will first post the new licence before requesting return of the old one.

As a basis for the earlier response here are the relevant regulations.

Article 3 of the Aircrew Regulation:

Without prejudice to Article 8 of this Regulation, pilots of aircraft referred
to in Article 4(1)(b) and (c) and Article 4(5) of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008
shall comply with the technical requirements and administrative procedures laid
down in Annex I and Annex IV to this Regulation.

Annexes I and IV are Part-FCL and Part-MED respectively. Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 (the Basic Regulation) was repealed in late 2018 by the current EASA Basic Regulation, ie Regulation (EU) 2018/1139. See art 139 of the latter, paras 1 and 4:

1. Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 is repealed with effect from 11 September 2018.

4. References to the repealed Regulations referred to in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3
shall be construed as references to this Regulation and, where appropriate, read
in accordance with the correlation table in Annex X.

Accordingly references in art 3 of the Aircrew Regulation to articles in the Basic Regulation are to be read as follows:

art 4(1)(b) → art 2(1)(b)(i),
art 4(1)(c) → art 2(1)(b)(ii),
art 4(5) → art 2(3)(d).

The relevant points in art 2 para 2 are:

This [Basic] Regulation shall apply to:

(b) the […] operation of aircraft […] where the aircraft is or will be:

(i) registered in a Member State, unless and to the extent that the Member State
has transferred its responsibilities pursuant to the Chicago Convention to a
third country and the aircraft is operated by a third country aircraft operator;

(ii) registered in a third country and operated by an aircraft operator
established, residing or with a principal place of business in the territory to
which the Treaties apply.

The relevant point in art 2 para 3 is:

This Regulation shall not apply to:

(d) the […] operation of aircraft the operation of which involves low risk for
aviation safety, as listed in Annex I, and to the personnel and organisations
involved therein, unless the aircraft has been issued, or has been deemed to
have been issued, with a certificate in accordance with Regulation (EC) No
216/2008.

Art 8 of the Aircrew Regulation permits but does not require (cf Belgium *) member states to accept third-country licences in accordance with annex III (validations, declarations, conversions, credits etc) unless a BASA–IPL applies. Art 12 permits member states to accept third-country licences for non-commercial operations, notwithstanding art 3, until 20 Jun 2021.

See the 21 Dec 2019 consolidated version of the Aircrew Regulation (link) and the most recent amendment, applicable from 8 Apr, Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/359 of 4 Mar 2020 (link).

London, United Kingdom
there may well be some FI/Fe who has dual papers, much as my AME has.

A list of ATO and AeMC approvals that EASA will issue after the transition period may be found on the EASA website (link). There are bound to be UK examiners who, having changed their own states of issue, will seek re-certification by UK CAA.

London, United Kingdom

What is the typical downtime to re-register an aircraft ? I’m going away from G-reg to another EASA reg. I was thinking about doing this after summer (sept-okt) and should be completed before the end of 2020. Feasible ?

EBST, Belgium

Many Germans did this, having originally gone to G to avoid the Cessna wing spar inspections.

It should be just weeks, although I don’t know the current time for the UK end.

Remember that such a move, while a purely paper exercise (nobody should need to physically inspect the plane, unlike with say N to G) has the potential to reveal illegal or “mistaken legal” mods.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Remember that such a move, while a purely paper exercise (nobody should need to physically inspect the plane, unlike with say N to G) has the potential to reveal illegal or “mistaken legal” mods.

I admire your expectations Peter but my experience with the UK CAA was just so fraught and lengthy that I nearly gave up. Please be careful everyone in changing the state of registry.

UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message