Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Business as usual I’m not so sure. Business as before EASA, yes of course. My guess for the UK it will be somewhere between the 2.

France

If the EASA system would disappear overnight, so would automatic validation of licences from one country to the other. A German license couldn’t fly a Dutch plane

ELLX

For the minority (the EASA enthusiasts) it would of course be a problem here and there if EASA were to vanish over night. But, for the majority, flying some kind of Annex 1 aircraft, or N-reg for that matter, there would be business as usual. Nothing would change.

For commercial aviation, I would think the problems would stack up high though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving

Partiularly in the case of flight crew licensing, EASA has done a lot more good than bad. .The main thing of course is that with a part FCL License you are free to fly any airplane registered in any memberstate of EASA without validations and so on. I vividly remember when I had to get validations for different places to fly airplanes not Swiss registered. This will be a major change for the UK pilots with UK based licenses, that they will need validations or totally new licenses if they want to fly elsewhere, be that professional or in general aviation. Likewise, after a transitioning period, FCL licensed pilots wont be able to fly UK registered planes, which will make G Reg impossible to use for owners outside the UK.

Likewise, if you buy an airplane in the UK, which is still one of the bigger markets, you will need to change register and at the very least import it with VAT and all into a new country of residence. There is no guarantee that EASA will simply accept a G reg plane as is, the situation will be similar to N-Reg and others, where STCs e.t.c. may cause a massive hassle. Unless a similar modus vivendi as with N-Reg will be found, G Reg airplanes will loose a lot of attractiveness for EU owners and therefore also at least intermittedly loose market value.

Clearly, it is likely the UK will try to profit from this and if the progressive part of CAA wins they can well develop into a much larger based flag of convenience register such as IOM or Jersey e.t.c. This we don-t know. As it has been said, assume the worst and hope for the best.

At the current state of affairs, EASA has been often enough a driving force for national red tape being abolished or restricted for GA, such as on condition maintenance for private ops, FCL and other stuff. Whether the UK will revert to pre-EASA conditions or become more progressive and therefore attractive, remains to be seen. It is also clear, that EASA will not look at any attempt by the UK CAA to ease things kindly and probably try to use similar attempts to stop people frrom getting flag of convenience status with the UK, such as dual licensing e.t.c. The EU will do their damnest to make a case against anyone else having the same idea of leaving.

In the end, I think for those who fly internationally, UK leaving EASA will most probably re-invent a lot of hassle and red tape which was gone with a pan European license and certification authority. For those flying in the UK with G-Reg, things may go either way.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If the EASA system would disappear overnight, so would automatic validation of licences from one country to the other. A German license couldn’t fly a Dutch plane.

Only if the Dutch authorities were stupid enough to say that a German (or British) ICAO PPL is not good enough for them to issue an automatic/general validation. There is nothing (except the EU and its desire to punish the Brits) which prevents any NAA from issuing such an open general validation.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Only if the Dutch authorities were stupid enough to say that a German (or British) ICAO PPL is not good enough for them to issue an automatic/general validation.

Well, they are, in your words, “stupid enough” to say that a USA, Canada, Brazil, Austria, New Zealand or Japan ICAO PPL is not good enough for them to issue automatic/general validation.

ELLX

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Likewise, after a transitioning period, FCL licensed pilots wont be able to fly UK registered planes, which will make G Reg impossible to use for owners outside the UK.

Not necessarily. Until EASA forced the UK to do away with it, the UK would automatically validate any ICAO license for G-reg, worldwide. (Currently, the UK only does it for “non-EASA” aircraft, like mine). You could show up in the UK with a FAA license and just go fly, with no additional paperwork. There’s no reason why this practise couldn’t be re-instated.

Andreas IOM

Well, they are, in your words, “stupid enough” to say that a USA, Canada, Brazil, Austria, New Zealand or Japan ICAO PPL is not good enough for them to issue automatic/general validation.

I agree. It’s shameful that EASA has forced this isolationist mentality on EU member states.

Currently, I am free to fly my G-reg Jodel in UK airspace with an FAA airman certificate. After Independence, who knows? Our pig-headed British government can’t even guarantee the fundamental rights of French fish living in British waters to be caught, killed and discarded by Dutch trawlers.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

“After Independence”
But that’s farther away than Brexit.☹️

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

From here

Not sure it deserves a separate thread, but what is the expectation for duties when importing a EASA registered aircraft into the UK after Brexit?

There is a healthy trade in second hand aircraft going both ways across the channel and the Irish Sea, what will happen to this? Will it be similar to the OP question?

And can you fly a D-reg for example, in the UK on a UK licence? or perhaps on an FAA licence?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message