Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Aircraft below 8000kg has zero duty by international treaty. You can import aircraft and aircraft parts from the US free of duty – if the tariff code is correct.

VAT is a different thing We just don’t know yet what will happen, but the worst case is that import VAT has to be paid at 20% on the market value.

What (non EASA) papers are needed to fly a D-reg in a non EASA airspace is up to the State of Registry (the German LBA) to determine, AIUI. There is no doubt a validation option. Most countries have one, though they are usually an absolute bastard to find online.

Then there is the 100hr PPL conversion route which is an EASA thing, where any non EASA PPL can be converted if you have 100hrs TT and sit the air law and HP&L exams and do a skills test… This yields a standalone EASA PPL. It would be hilarious if a UK pilot had to do this route, and the exams were the exact same one he has already sat at the UK school

From above link:

If you hold an ICAO-compliant private pilot licence issued outside Europe, you can convert it to a European PPL. In order to do this, you will need to pass theory exams on air law and human performance as well as a skill test. Additionally, you need to have at least 100 hours as a pilot in the relevant aircraft category, hold a European medical certificate and have demonstrated language proficiency in the language to be used for radio communication.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can anyone offer a view on whether the UK will remain in ECAC, post-brexit?

AIUI it will.

This directly impacts the ability of uncertified G-regs flying abroad. It is not an EASA matter; it is individual with each country.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there any advantage in me applying for a Czech passport (I can get one)?

In some situations recently discussed it sounded like it would be undesirable to be carrying it when in the EU, however.

I don’t know if there is an aviation-related advantage, but in your position I would have already applied for it. You don’t have to carry it or use it, but it might be useful to have it one day.

Unfortunately I have exhausted all avenues that might lead to an EU passport for me. No Irish heritage (a common route for Brits) and, although my maternal grandfather hurriedly left Germany for the UK in 1938, we have no documentation related to this that might allow us to make a case. (The German government, in theory, offers citizenship to anyone who can demonstrate that their ancestors fled Nazi oppression.)

EGLM & EGTN

AFAICT the only use of an EU passport for a Brit is to be able to long-term stay or work in the EU. I imagine holiday home owners will be affected and will have to get visas if they want to spend half a year in Greece, etc.

For me it is an all-day trip to London to do it and so far I have not managed to get enthusiastic enough to spend a whole day in London

I just wondered if there is any other reason. Ibra’s post above

One can always fly G-reg to EU without paying import duty after Jan21 under Temporary Admission but it can’t stay more than 6months limit (and depending on nationality one may need a visa for staying more than 3months)

makes it pretty clear. BTW is this “3 months” actually already agreed anywhere?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

BTW is this “3 months” actually already agreed anywhere?

Standard EU entry rules for the other countries – if you want to stay for longer than 90 days in 6 months, you need a Leave to Remain aka residence permit.

EGTR

But you can stand as CZ candidate for EU parliament election with a nice generous pension
Or go on Erasmus to Barcelona

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Dec 14:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

AFAICT the only use of an EU passport for a Brit is to be able to long-term stay or work in the EU.

Who knows how it will all pan out. It depends how much the “f*ck the Brits over for daring to leave” mentality takes hold in Brussels.

It is not inconceivable that Brits might end up with cumbersome travel arrangements. At the simple end you get stuck in the long queue rather than the short one for passport control. On a more GA-related note, perhaps we end up with budensome GAR-type requirements for entering the EU (not via CAT) as non-EU citizens?

EGLM & EGTN

On a more GA-related note, perhaps we end up with budensome GAR-type requirements for entering the EU (not via CAT) as non-EU citizens?

I would expect the same treatment as any “real foreigner” i.e. Brits will need both Immigration and Customs. This is how aviation has worked for many decades and I don’t see reasons for any additional measures.

Of course Brussels will want revenge, and no doubt some other politicians around Europe also, but as the old sayings go, revenge is a dish best served cold, or those who want revenge should dig two graves. So while 1 or 2 countries’ heads will want revenge, I think cooler heads will eventually prevail

The most obvious change for UK pilots will be the inability to use Immigration-only airports, of which there are many, especially in Germany and Italy (although very few UK pilots know about the “Immigration on PNR” concessions in these countries, anyway, because it isn’t in the AIP AD section).

How much this affects you will depend on your aircraft and mission profile.

Administrator

Graham wrote:

It depends how much the “f*ck the Brits over for daring to leave” mentality takes hold in Brussels.

Or the Brits want to be treated like people not in the EU, so we are going to treat them like that.
Citizens of Mexico, Japan, Israel, … can visit EU visa free but not stay more than 90days in 180 days.
Same rules will apply to Brits in 29 days.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Xtophe wrote:

Or the Brits want to be treated like people not in the EU, so we are going to treat them like that.
Citizens of Mexico, Japan, Israel, … can visit EU visa free but not stay more than 90days in 180 days.
Same rules will apply to Brits in 29 days.

Of course. I would prefer it if it wasn’t like that (I would have preferred to remain) but that is how it is.

With the “f*ck the Brits” mentality I am perhaps more getting at things that are likely to come out in trade negotiations, but it might affect travel too. The mentality has a basis in logic of course, because in order to preserve itself the EU has to ensure that the Brits are seen to suffer for leaving (even if it means doing things that might not be in the immediate interest of EU member states), otherwise others may follow….

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message