Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

LeSving wrote:

Norway and Switzerland have been outside since the beginning…

Do Nreg operators resident in N and CH also require an parallel EASA licence (after April 2017)?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
The first thing that will happen is Scotland breaking off

…shortly followed by Jacko eating his Bushwheels

But seriously, that notion comes from a special part of Scotland called SNP-Dreamburgh. We’re no more inclined to quit the UK than last year or the year before that.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

But seriously, that notion comes from a special part of Scotland called SNP-Dreamburgh. We’re no more inclined to quit the UK than last year or the year before that.

That is not what the news reports. Scotland is much more pro EU than pro UK (even when UK was part of EU). When UK will depart from EU, then why should Scotland be part of UK? But, media is media of course.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

According to the BBC, about two thirds of Scots voted “remain”. Northern Ireland seems deeply split with >60% “exit” vote in some (presumably predominately protestant) areas and <30% in some (presumably predominately catholic) areas.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Jun 09:40
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AnthonyQ wrote:

Do Nreg operators resident in N and CH also require an parallel EASA licence (after April 2017)?

Of course. That is EASA regulations and they apply to Norway as well as all other MS.

LFPT, LFPN

That is EASA regulations and they apply to Norway as well as all other MS.

Is that the EASA FCL N-reg attack specifically?

We did that here before, and I don’t agree this applies, because the word used is “Community” which means the EU.

A law like this has to be read as it is written.

Of course any country, even the Peoples’ Republic of Upper Volta, is free to implement a national law which mirrors EASA FCL. Has Norway and Switzerland done such a law?

But the UK has not done that. Maybe they will, maybe not. There is a lot less pressure to go N-reg than there was 10 years ago when the Dept for Transport proposed a 90 day per year max parking time for UK based N-regs. That proposal ran for ~ 2 years before getting killed after reaching a certain political level.

But, media is media of course.

Sure, and I am sure California would vote for independence too. The whole world is like that. We live in interesting times.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

Of course. That is EASA regulations and they apply to Norway as well as all other MS.

When it’s not even clear what an operator is, the question when an operator is “residing in the EC” is even more unclear speaking of Norway and Switzerland. It is not crystal clear IMHO. There is of course a chance that in some bilateral agreement between the EU and Switzerland, they thought to include that “Community” in the context of a regulation applied in Switzerland is to include Swiss territory. But even then, this bilateral agreement wouldn’t have legal value against a citizen. And I am quite certain there is no Swiss regulation stating such an equivalence. So as an affected Swiss operator, I would argue that this rule doesn’t apply to me.

EEC = European Economic Community

LFPT, LFPN

EEC = European Economic Community

Not in this context, I think.

So as an affected Swiss operator, I would argue that this rule doesn’t apply to me.

So far as I know, all N-reg pilots based in

• Norway
  • Switzerland
  • Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man
  • other non EU countries in “Europe”

have been totally clear that this bit of EASA FCL doesn’t apply to them, due to the word “Community” and the lack of EU membership of their country.

Previous debate on this very topic is e.g. here

I have never seen any mention of a law in Norway or Switzerland which deals with this.

Also there is no such thing as “EASA membership”. A country in the EU has to adopt EU regs, which happen to be drafted by EASA.

IMHO Scotland is not likely to vote for independence anytime soon because without the oil money the place would be an economic wasteland, and we all know what has happened to the oil price.

I am trying to avoid getting into a purely political debate (which is always intractable) but this does have an aviation angle: if Scotland left the UK, and the stated wish of some of their politicians to join Schengen came true, we would have a funny situation where we would have a border between England+Wales and Scotland, with all the various airport issues.

Of course the previous debate (here) about what happens between Ireland and Northern Ireland is now really going to happen!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The EEC was dissolved in 2009.

Sign in to add your message