Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cabin Dimensions (Width) of SE Aircraft

You’d have to add the DA40 (cabin width is 45’’) to the list, Mooney Driver, and actually she would be the leader of the ‘narrow bodies’
Adding to what Jan observed about his aircraft (43’’) it is surprising to see how various UL’s (or microlights or LSA’s or whatever) size up. The Eurofox: 44’’ and the Bristell 51’’! As mentioned before in this thread, there is much more than just width to determine roominess but I must say I (6 ft 3’’, 1,91m) felt quite comfy in the latter two aircraft.

Last Edited by aart at 25 Feb 07:56
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

there is much more than just width to determine roominess

Not really. You sit there strapped more or less tight in a chair. The only thing you can really move are arms, head and feet. If your shoulders, arms and head have unrestricted movement, or the more you can move your head and arms without bumping into another person or the doors/windows/roof, and be able to reach all the handles and buttons, that is the definition of roominess.

A typical microlight feels roomy once you get in there. The seating is often much more reclined, and your feet are high, much more more glider seating like than a Cessna type. In a Cessna, the seating is like a kitchen chair.

But then again, the larger you are, the more space you require. Even a C-152 may feel roomy for a small couple.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Without getting into a play of words (roominess, space, comfort) you make a good point here:

A typical microlight feels roomy once you get in there. The seating is often much more reclined, and your feet are high, much more more glider seating like than a Cessna type. In a Cessna, the seating is like a kitchen chair.

Indeed you can have plenty of room to stretch your legs in an ULM but if you just hate to sit almost on the floor and/or reclined, like in a sports car but instead like to sit high and straight up all that room does not make it comfortable.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
A typical microlight feels roomy once you get in there.

I had a one-seater UL many years ago, a Stratos 300 motorglider. I got claustrofobic just from looking at it, and also when climbing in. I did call it a point-nine seater. But once airborne, the almost unlimited visibility made the cabin dimensions almost irrelevant. (It was so lightweight that in still air I could maintain and adjust altitude just by moving my head back and forth – it’s true!)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Mooney Driver wrote:
Next in the close ball park is the Piper Saratoga/Seneca cabin with 48.25 inches

It was even in the very first post – thanks md

Last Edited by huv at 25 Feb 10:03
huv
EKRK, Denmark
Next in the close ball park is the Piper Saratoga/Seneca cabin with 48.25 inches and the Corvalis with 48 inches/122 cm.

Next are the Malibu with 49.6 inches / 126 cm followed closely by the Cirrus SR20/22 with 49 inches/125 cm.

The widest single engine cabin are found: In the TB9/10/20/21. According to specs the cabin is 50.3 inches / 128 cm wide.

Yesterday I took a flight in the cabin of an EA400. I was quite amazed at the feeling of roominess, although I must say that the side windows are too small to my taste and have a lot of optical distortion. The best seats are the middle row which combines great comfort with perfectly positioned windows and the shadow of the wing.

According to the POH it is 54.7 inches / 139 cm wide. What impressed me most though was the length. No claustrophobic feelings at all here.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

huv wrote:

I got claustrofobic just from looking at it, and also when climbing in. I did call it a point-nine seater. But once airborne, the almost unlimited visibility made the cabin dimensions almost irrelevant.

That is how I feel everytime when I am flying the Bölkow Junior:

I will measure some of our planes this weekend…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Anyone know what the cabin width is on a Robin DR401? As I am thinking about buying – thoughts welcome on that too!

DR 401 has a blown bubble canopy, therefore it would give you more space than the old DR400. That is in the upper part of the cabin. Otherwise, the fuselage structure is similar to the old DR400. If you look for something bigger than DR400 you might have a look at DR500 like this one or DR253 like this one
I’m not a big fan of “improvements” incorporated into the DR401 especially the “swift wing”, electrically operated flaps or Diesel engine. Otherwise it’s a sound design. Wooden structure, if keep in proper conditions will last “forever” and fabric shall last at least 30 years.

I think the dual door cabins give a feeling of added space as well.
When I enter a Mooney, it feels like I"m crawling into a cave.
The panel feels like it is resting on my lap, like breakfast in bed or something…
Once I’m in, I’m not uncomfortable at all, but the initial impression is ‘tight’, as I don’t feel like I could get out very easily. That sure lends an added effect of ‘smallness’ to me.

Comparing that to a 172, where I feel like I’m in a pickup truck, and could hang my arm on the window opening, I feel like I have plenty of space. I even have to reach forward to flip knobs, which makes the Cessna ‘feel’ massive.

But after flying for about 1 hour, I’d take a Mooney 50x over the Cessna… the claustrophobic effect wears off and I feel very snug in a Mooney. All the controls are easily at arms reach, I’m not leaning forward or over at all.

I think the same goes for the PA28. It felt smaller (at first) than the 172, but only because there wasn’t a second door…

It would be interesting to try the new dual-door Mooneys and see if they feel tight too!

I think with the Mooney it’s really more the seating position than the dimensions that make it feel tight. Actually once you managed to get inside it’s bigger than one would think! The one door doesn’t help though, and it was a good idea that they have two doors in the new models.

Sign in to add your message