Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a German firm issue an EASA-1 for something for which only the US mfg can issue an 8130-3?

here

BTW the seller is constantly trying to sell this or other SN3500s without the LED mod i.e. really early ones, which only a mug would buy.

He is constantly ending his auctions after a few days and then putting the same item up again. AFAICT this doesn’t cost him anything but results in everybody with a watch filter for “SN3500” or “Sandel” etc getting an email about a “new item for sale”. I am looking for a good used SN3500, at the right price only, as a shelf unit spare part for my plane, as I have two of them installed.

But I have it absolutely confirmed by Sandel that only they can issue an 8130-3 for a SN3500.

But… this one comes with this

This is clever, since the FAA accepts an EASA-1 as an 8130-3

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But I have it absolutely confirmed by Sandel that only they can issue an 8130-3 for a SN3500.

Why???? They would very likely be the only one which can issue as NEW part.

Anyone who has this Sandel on their scope could issue a pure EASA Form or dual release. When it is removed it will be a pure EASA Form 1. This unit has been bench tested and possibily repaired, and therefor must be released with an EASA Form 1 / dual release.

Part 145 can generally not generate a Form 1 with NEW, only inspected / tested, repaired or overhauled.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Looks perfectly legitimate to me. Avionik Straubing clearly have the part on their Part 145 C rating and have quoted the applicable component maintenance manual on the EASA Form 1. I don’t see any problem with this. They are certifying it as inspected/tested, not new.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

OK; thanks all. Sandel told me that an 8130-3 cannot be issued by anybody but them, for new or used.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

OK; thanks all. Sandel told me that an 8130-3 cannot be issued by anybody but them, for new or used.

One can even issue an EASA Form 1, when it is tested before removal accoring MPS / e.g. no bench test / manufacturer manuals.
Many Part 145 shops have a procedure to do this as EASA has a provision for this.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

So….. what does such a Form 1 mean, really?

It appears to say “working on the bench” because they could not possibly have tested every possible feature documented in the IM. Probably not even tested every possible interface. You would need quite a rig for such a test. A complicated ARINC429 test harness.

The SN3500 is not a product that’s been popular in GA for years. One UK dealer sold his demo unit and stand a few years ago. Nobody installs them now in piston GA.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So….. what does such a Form 1 mean, really?

It depend on what it says. If it says it was removed serviceable from an aircraft, it is basically the same as a yellow tag with tracebility. It always will say according what procedure or manual the work has been accomplished. In this case the work was done according the final test procedure of the Sandel Maintenance manual.

With overhaul, for example, it says which overhaul was done, according manufacturer, or using alternative (approved) procedures. This is why you sometimes see big differences in OH pricing. So for an electric pump the OH could be cleaning + lubricating + testing according an approved procedure, or cleaning, renewing bearings, renew rotor + testing according manufacturer instructions.

This is the same or very similair for FAA and EASA.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

We installed 93 SN3500s just a few years ago in Grob 115s for the RAF. We recently certified an installation and supplied them for the British Army Gazelle helicopter fleet using the NVG version, coupled to a Garmin GTN and GTS. These units may be less popular in GA but certainly have a viable market in military platforms,

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 30 Dec 21:59
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

I know, which is why I have two of them, plus the SG102 AHRS. Very high grade stuff.

If it says it was removed serviceable from an aircraft, it is basically the same as a yellow tag with tracebility

Where does the traceability derive from? This belongs into the other thread but the 145 company (FAA or EASA) doesn’t know whether it is a genuine part. OK; one could not build a fake SN3500 but pretty obviously an EASA-1 saying “we bench tested it” is just a Yellow Tag saying “worked when looked at”.

But a Yellow Tag is not an 8130-3

The EASA-1 form is just traceability after it was typed-up. Whereas an 8130-3 from Sandel means they put it through their factory test, etc. But an 8130-3 from Sandel is going to cost you 4 figures, due to the work they will do to bring it to current spec… But the EASA-1 form is accepted to FAA equally to an 8130-3.

Administrator

Gentleman, for the record: Please banish the term “Yellow tag” as it means absolutely nothing and thus can have several different meaning to several different people.

In FAA parlance, it’s a Form 8130-3 or it is not, period.

Last Edited by Michael at 31 Dec 08:48
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message