Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a GTN be installed under an EASA Minor Change if there is an autopilot connection?

The first part of the Q is answered here but no info was posted on whether the autopilot can be connected up.

If yes, what supporting data is required for the installation?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For EASA aircraft (other than those without an FAA TC) there is an AML STC which includes autopilot interfaces. So does the question only relate to those aircraft without an FAA TC?

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Yes, my Q was related to a situation where the AML STC is not usable.

Perhaps the Minor Change route is conditional on there being an FAA TC? That would be surprising.

Administrator

I think we are confusing terms…what Wiggly implies seems to be that if the AML STC can be used then the design approval process is minor to non-existant, depending on the validation status. If not, then design approval is a major change, major project (as in five digits and one year, perhaps).
It does not strictly answer the Q but it gives an idea.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

My understanding was that if the AML STC cannot be used (which happens to be the case on the Robin, but probably others – in fact every type not covered by the STC) then an installation under a Minor Change is possible.

If you have an STC then the installation is a non-issue. It is by definition a Major Change (well, IF the STC was required, and was thus used, it was definitely a Major Change ) but the STC delivers the entire approval package – same principle in FAA-land.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

if the AML STC cannot be used […] then an installation under a Minor Change is possible.

That depends on the complexity of the installation/modification. All autopilot navigational interfaces and in fact autopilot installations by themselves are major changes in both EASA and FAA lands. It makes sense as it affects in a major fashion the flying characteristics of the aircraft.

Perhaps a certain autopilot installation can be done as a minor mod to an already approved STC installation on the type, but the installation in itself would be done under a major mod ( the previous STC) plus such minor mod.

Last Edited by Antonio at 22 Nov 07:07
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Sorry; I didn’t make it clear. I meant can a GTN be installed as a Minor Change and connected up to an existing autopilot?

Doing a lot of searching it seems highly likely the answer is NO. CS-STAN allows a GNS or GTN to be installed (for VFR, BRNAV, GPS/LNAV only). One post by an installer claims that any WAAS box is always a Major but that seems to be clearly wrong. I wonder if @GarryIAE knows?

A supplementary question might be: if there is an old GNS430 already installed and driving the autopilot, does that make it any easier? If so, what kind of documentation is required for the old GNS430 installation? In most cases there will be no paperwork for the GNS430 job

Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message