Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can I fly VFR over "EDR" areas between EDDS and EDDM ?

Fellow Pilots,

I am trying to plan my future flight from EDDS to LYBE, but there are so many R zones between EDDS and EDDM. Here how it seems from VFR charts( derived from skyvector)

On the other hand, when I switch to LA IFR routing , there are some airways penetrating those areas as low as 4000 ". Here is other frames from the LA IFR of the same routing.

I dug into the forum and checked eddh.de and jumped DFS from there and read “Military low-level flights and VFR traffic” information but cannot relate if this is the answer to my question.

So, can I file this routing over EDR zones when I leave Germany to Austria ?

Thanks a lot .

Last Edited by SkyWagon at 08 Dec 04:45
Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

R-areas usually do not extend from the ground to unlimited altitude, so you must always check the vertical limits, just as you would with controlled airspace. You should also always check what the restriction is as it may only apply to certain kinds of flights/activities, at certain times of day etc. It’s all in the AIP.

In this case the R-areas north of TEKSI have a lower limit of FL215, while the R-areas south of TEKSI have a lower limit of not less than FL95. So unless you plan to fly abvove FL95, these areas are not relevant for you.

Strictly speaking these particular areas are not “proper” R-areas, but Temporary Restricted Areas (TRA) which are reserved for military activity on a tactical basis. You could ask FIS for information about their status and fly through them if they are not active. (In fact, that is true for most R-areas.)

Several countries publish daily airspace use plans (AUPs) which list the planned used of R-areas. By checking the AUP you’ll know if you can expect to get permission to fly through an R-area.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Dec 06:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again,

Many thanks for the information. In Turkey the “R” areas are always restricted. For example flying from LTBJ- LTCG-LTFH or LTAC even flying above FL300 , ATC gives vectors to avoid R areas.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

SkyWagon wrote:

In Turkey the “R” areas are always restricted.

Are you sure? That’s not what AIP-Turkey says. E.g. there are several restricted areas where fixed-wing traffic is permitted (e.g. LTR21). There are also areas where traffic to and from nearby airports are permitted (e.g. LTR22).

For example flying from LTBJ- LTCG-LTFH or LTAC even flying above FL300 , ATC gives vectors to avoid R areas.

According to AIP-Turkey, no R-areas reach that high. There are two prohibited areas and one danger area that do. Or the vectors could be around military exercise areas.

Airborne_Again;

You are right, I have just called a friend from ATC , it was my bad I was talking LTD10, but he said some vectors for LTR9 too :

And I have checked again the AIP all R areas are H24 limited.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

@Skywagon, the airspace east of Stuttgart is not as complicated as it seems on Skyvector. Most of those ED-Rs (the “straight and narrow” ones) are night-low-level routes that will not affect you during the day and only rarely at night (ED-R 150). The small ED-R 143 just west of your turning point is only active during weekdays, SR-SS, other times by NOTAM. It only reaches up to 2500MSL, which is not particularly high in this area.

Then of course there is the TMA airspace around Munich, class C. From what I´ve heard it´s not too common to get a crossing clearance for that, you´ll probably have to stay below or fly around it.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

LTD10 is a danger area. You don’t need permission to cross it. Although it would be smart to avoid it.

ESME, ESMS

Also, since my understanding is that you already purchased SkyDemon, check the charts there. They’re much better and up-to-date than SkyVector.

ESME, ESMS

Caba wrote:

the airspace east of Stuttgart is not as complicated as it seems on Skyvector. Most of those ED-Rs (the “straight and narrow” ones) are night-low-level routes that will not affect you during the day and only rarely at night (ED-R 150).

The areas shown on the charts SkyWagon posted are not ED R 150 but ED TRA 107x and 207×.

I stand corrected, should have had a closer look. I can´t edit the original post though.
Indeed these are TRAs, which explains why they don´t show up with my SkyDemon settings. Lower limits are in the upper airspace. Using SD you can easily download the AIP and have a closer look at all the areas in question.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message