Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can one fit optically good windows in a pressurised aircraft?

It is very hard to get an even half good photo from a PA46, TBM, CJ, etc.

Square-on, one can almost get there, but the contrast is still poor.

Is there any solution, even just for the side windows in the cockpit?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peer, why do you think that a PA46 window is worse in quality than a, let’s say, PA-32 window? I see no reason for that ..
I would polish it well and if want to make really good pictures then i use a polarize filter to eliminate reflexion. But whatever plexiglass you shoot through, it always makes the images softer and unusable for professional purposes … Thet’s the one thing i don’t ike about the Cirrus, and I don’t even bother to carry the professional camera … makes no sense.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 25 Nov 11:59

why do you think that a PA46 window is worse in quality than a, let’s say, PA-32 window

The pressurised windows are double glazed, AFAIK, because the OAT can easily be very low (-56C).

I don’t even bother to carry the professional camera

Curiously, I find it much easier to eliminate reflections with the DSLR than with the phone. It could simply be because the DSLR is black whereas the camera side of the phone has some shiny bits on it. Normally I used a black furry rag to cover up reflecting items (the kneeboard, etc) and usually this works well enough.

But turboprop windows add a whole level of difficulty.

Administrator

But turboprop windows add a whole level of difficulty.

So, Peter, can we infer from that, that the – long overdue! – Jetprop is finally cleared for the approach ?

Btw, these fine folks may be able to point you in the right direction

The windshields and opening side windows in Citations are not double glazed. They are plastic. The passenger windows are double glazed for comfort reasons, but only the outer part is the pressure vessel.
The windshields in King Airs are two plies of glass.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The windshields and opening side windows in Citations are not double glazed.

No, but around one inch thick curved plastic. I am usually not able to get decent photos through these windows. Often enough, the autofocus of the camera is not even able to lock onto something.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thet’s the one thing i don’t ike about the Cirrus, and I don’t even bother to carry the professional camera … makes no sense.

Don’t the Cirrus have storm windows? I always open the side window to take a proper picture.

Old TB20s have the little opening window, but not in a very useful position.

Incidentally I have found that typical DSLR phase-based focus (which is used in the viewfinder mode) works sub-optimally through any window. The contrast-based focus (which is used in the Live View mode) works through anything (if it works at all).

Administrator

PA46 aren’t double glazed either just plastic except for the pilot’s which is heated glass. On the passenger ones there is a light layer of plastic on the inside but as with the citation it is not structural.

Older PA46s have storm windows but they are a major point of structural failure in a pressurised aircraft and will clearly only work when unpressurised. If you have ever seen a cabin pressurised on the ground you will see how much flex there is in the plastic and glass and why photos won’t work well.

EGTK Oxford

In that case it should be possible to fit a single-layer optical grade glass in a PA46 cockpit side window – unless it is curved.

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message