Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you identify this prop TKS pump?

Or are there certification issues to prevent that?

I think you could very safely say it would be a Major Alteration

Has anybody managed to fit a heated prop to a plane for which there is no such option under a TC or STC?

You would probably also need a bigger alternator…

TKS is actually a really good solution for the propeller and as stated above it keeps the front window totally ice-free which is a much better solution that those little heated windows you see on the front of e.g. Senecas and Aztecs.

Arguably the tank should be bigger than the 2 litres (say 5 litres) but that should be possible paperwork-wise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To me, the ticking noise that the pump makes in your video is very similar to the SU positive displacement type solenoid fuel pump used in my 1955 Series 1 Land Rover. Maybe you could find a small fuel pump of this type to replace it rather than searching for an industrial dosing type pump?

EGTP
At this miserable flow rate the Socata price for that piece of **** is a real rip-off and at that price it should be a law case and would be if it was not aviation matters. I would not hesitate one second to install something like a peristaltic pump with silicone hose like here, certified or not, considering that the original fail just as well, not to mention “certified” vacuum pumps – another piece of sh*** that you can not rely on at any time. It amazes me completely how otherwise tough business men cringe in prospect of a little confrontation with some inspector idiot. In that case I´d say thank you and get a competent one. Vic
vic
EDME

I have a similar type of pump in my HGV. It’s the dosage pump for the engine preheater.

United Kingdom

It may be a Socata price but actually Socata pricing is generally not above that from Piper or Cessna – with some notable exceptions like metric (ISO thread) hoses.

The price comes from CAV Aerospace who, via an unfortunate series of events, ended up with a monopoly and in the worst aviation tradition are bending everybody over a barrel and shafting them.

In aviation, a large part of the “ownership” game is to avoid the various barrels which pop up along your route The usual procedure involves

• buy your own plane
  • buy your own hangar
  • buy your own airport

I too would not hesitate to fit a different pump. It’s covered by the FASA Minor Alteration concession list, IMHO.

In fact that whole prop TKS system is a big pricing issue. When I bought the plane in 2002, it was a ~3k factory option. Now, IIRC, it is about 15k which is totally outrageous. I know some people are looking at fabricating identical parts.

Administrator

A hot prop would have a hard time clearing your windscreen and the wingroots, as the TKS does.

Does it really? A FIKI approved TB20 has a separate windscreen sprayer.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sure, FIKI aircraft do have separate elements for the screen, but still, non-FIKI systems with just the prop slingers still take care of it quite nicely.

That said, this is quite an important feature. Often, in winter, the weather is relatively benign, with maybe a stratus layer between 1000 and 2000 (or between 2000 and 3000 feet), but with a freezing level close to the ground. When you descend in on the ILS, that 1000 feet of stratus is enough to put a nice coating of ice on the windscreen, but after that, the temperature is too low to allow the ice to melt before reaching the minima…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Rumour has it that a peristaltic pump from Seko works great in the TB20 prop TKS system

There is also a Microdos pump from an Italian company which is being advertised as a replacement for the Seko PR I. It is even slightly cheaper at c. €100 and also comes in 240V and 24V versions. Both the Seko and the Microdos-pumps are probably being produced by the same factory in China – data sheet ( local copy )

Both the Seko as well as the Microdos pumps are being offered on UK ebay for €100-150 (albeit in the 240V versions) by this firm. They can probably supply the 24V version too.

I am still on my original pump (probably because it gets regular exercise) but this is a great option.

Administrator

Having removed these items for the full TKS installation I will now be selling them:

Don’t yet know what to ask, so have emailed Socata for pricing of the new parts. They don’t recognise their own pump+tank assembly P/N which is stamped on the side!

Anyone using these will also need to buy the slinger assembly and some other bits.

Administrator
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message