Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cannes LFMD

It’s actually easier than 22, because the grass and runway 17 acts as displaced threshold, you just have to aim for the threshold 04. What I’ve been shown is that it’s better to stay at 800ft before turning base just before the ill (or between the 2 like this one). At 3:30 here (my son is RHS :D).

Last Edited by greg_mp at 14 Feb 12:45
LFMD, France

22 is definitely a bit odd. There is no takeoff procedure for it, you take off, and when you’re overhead 17, you turn over 17 and then depart as if you taken off on 17. (Well, strictly that IS the defined procedure, but it’s odd). Landing is OK once you find the place where you’re supposed to turn final (defined as the railway junction, easy to find if you know where it is already!). Thanks heavens for SDVFR with VAC overlay.

As for 04, I’ve never tried it, it would be a bit “sportif” with the terrain.

LFMD, France

Our club will be open and from what I’ve been told, there will be traffic on 22/04 but few planes usually lands on this one (720m and an approach over the buildings), usually only based planes.

LFMD, France

…and it isn’t clear whether ops usng 22/04 will be permitted or not The NOTAM doesn’t say anything about it, but the email from the person at the airport implied that the airport will be closed for all takeoffs and landings.

LFMD, France

Please note that runway 17/35 (the main one) will be closed on Friday 16th in the morning, in order to make maintenance on the LOC.
Notam is present:
LFFA-C0471/24
DU: 16-02-2024 09:00 AU: 16-02-2024 11:30
A) LFMD
Q) LFMM / QMRLC / IV / NBO / A / 000/999 / 4333N00657E005
E) PISTE 17/35 FERMEE

LFMD, France

The rule is: as soon as you’ re airborn, you’re airborn :D.
I arrived 1h after my slot last year, and I never had problems. It’s just a mean to reduce number of flights.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 09 Jun 18:48
LFMD, France

So I arrived 20min late. no one said anything in cannes, hopefully I won’t get into trouble later either…

That is what usually happens; the arrival slots are done for no real reason. I don’t recall any case where slot timing actually mattered. In GA, winds vary so much, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

Here is a very nice article (in french) about LFMD/COHOR and IFR slot in there
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cohor-comment-%C3%A7a-marche-orbifly

This is really useful. thanks!

There is one question it didn’t answer, what do you do if you are ready on time for your ETA slot time, but you get a Eurocontrol CTOT that delays you vs your arrival slot. Happened to me last week, 20min delay, I didn’t dare to call cannes in case they would cancel my slot all together, called Eurocontrol to see if that would make them move my CTOT, they told me in so many words, not their problem, airport slot are independent of them…

So I arrived 20min late. no one said anything in cannes, hopefully I won’t get into trouble later either…

EGTF, United Kingdom

Z FPL are allowed if FPL clearance delivery / change of FR is outside Nice TMA.
Here is a very nice article (in french) about LFMD/COHOR and IFR slot in there
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cohor-comment-%C3%A7a-marche-orbifly

Moogle translated

Last Edited by greg_mp at 09 Jun 12:45
LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Well, except that Y/Z fight plans aren’t permitted under “coordination”. You can just land at LFMV and depart IFR from there, but it kind of defeats the object.

In the past Z flight plan were allowed, which let you depart VFR then pick up later during coordination. is it not the case anymore? I didn’t try this year, but definitely did in the past. I couldn’t find the official info.

And are they not permitted at all, or can you file them but they just require a slot as well?

Last Edited by roznet at 09 Jun 12:34
EGTF, United Kingdom
140 Posts
Sign in to add your message