Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carb heat

Just a small comment on a FAA approved POH. The only portion of the POH which carries any regulatory authority for N number aircraft is the limitations section. The other sections don't.

KUZA, United States

Would it be correct to say:

On N-reg, Part 91, the only mandatory maintenance is

• ADs

• lifed items listed in the Airworthiness/Limitations section of the aircraft POH (which includes the Annual)

Everything else can be done "on condition".

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Carb heat before adding power

Recently flew with a new instructor (for me) who wanted me to try carb heat prior to climbing from the cruise. His reasoning was that this way you would detect any carb icing that might limit the power available.

My reasoning would be that you should detect this anyway when the throttle response isn’t as you expected, then you can go back and fix it. I appreciate this may be subtle. I can see some advantage, but it just seems something of a faff to me.

Is this something that most people do? And does anybody have any strong feelings about its merits?

Typical instructors’ faff, just to teach something “unique” and clever…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Typical instructors’ faff, just to teach something “unique” and clever…

As an instructor I must object! “Typical amateur instructor’s fuff” it must read. Professional instructors teach according to a sound and aproved training syllabus that is in part based on the operating manual of the aeroplane employed. And I have yet to see an operating manual that calls for carb heat before applying power. And generally: If you are afraid of flying, don’t fly. You cannot guard yourself against anything by inventing more and more silly procedures…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Generally I thought his airmanship was good – reminded me of lots of points I’d forgotten about. Didn’t seem scared of flying until I got flustered by the unexpected instruction and pulled the mixture off (flying an unfamiliar type).

Well, I have learned a lot from the “unique and clever” inputs I have had from different instructors. And I have always found it interesting when they do not all agree on procedures. There is more than one acceptable and safe way to operate an aircraft.

In this case, however, I would probably tend to forget the “tip”.

I agree with your reasoning, kwlf.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

You should apply carb heat at regular intervals anyhow, so if you have been on a level cruise for a while and am about to begin a climb, or even a heading change, or about to enter cloud, I dont see the harm in applying carb heat first. Better before, than never. Is it totally necessary, possibly not, will it cause any problems, I doubt it. Do what you feel comforable in doing, so long as it isnt harmful or contrary to the POH. Thats my view …

I’ve had carb icing in the cruise, and you WILL detect it before beginning your climb!

Andreas IOM

I dont see the harm in applying carb heat first.

No harm of course. But do you know if both magnetos are still working? So why not do a magneto check as well, before applying climb power? And what about your prop goevrnor? And while we are in checking and testing mood, we could do a radio check before changing altitude. And maybe see, if the “IDENT” button of the transponder still works. Testing the emergency gear extension before applying power might also be a good idea. And a stall warner test! During climb, one sometimes comes close to the stall, and what if the stall warner is not working …

Sorry, but you are cruising at a safe altitude and all you want to do is climb a little more. So what if there is some carb icing present and your engine coughs a little when applying power? You pull the carb heater and everything will be fine… In all those years, I have never had to do this apart from a few times inside clouds.

Last Edited by what_next at 03 Jun 09:40
EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message