Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carcassonne to Almeria, La Rochelle, Guernsey and Fairoaks

Thanks, denopa, the vents have been checked. We’re looking under the floor now.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Chris,
I’m sure you’ve thought of it, but if your right tank problem is due to a partially clogged fuel vent, you could collapse your wing? Worth being very careful about.

EGTF, LFTF

I went with the Tornado Alley Turbo system having done the Advanced Pilot Seminars course in October. The complete system was $43k but I went for the built-in oxygen system as well which added $6k to the price. It shipped in two weeks and took another week to arrive (7 large boxes). Of course I’m paying VAT and installation on top.

Everything you need is included: turbo, intercooler, air scoop, hoses, fuel controller, booster pump modification to off/low/high, louvres, gills, exhaust, new MP/FF gauge, 115 cu ft O2 bottle, O2D2 regulator, and loads of other stuff. The aircraft is in for annual now. Once I’ve air tested it again some of the old parts will be shipped back to Oklahoma.

The installation took about six weeks followed by a few days of air tests. The temperatures were sometimes increasing as I climbed. We’ve isolated it to a reducing fuel flow when on the right tank but haven’t solve the problem yet. (The ff should stay close to 32 gph in the climb but on the right tank it’s down to 26 by 15,000 ft.)

I’m delighted with the performance. The BeechTalk forums told me to expect to see 190 KTAS at FL180 and 16 gph and that’s exactly what I’ve seen. (I used to plan 150 KTAS at 12 gph.) I’ve programmed autorouter to plan my flights at FL180-200 so we can stay on the canullas but we always have the option to go higher on masks if required.

Spending too long online

A turbo is really amazing !

@chrisparker
I watched your website with installation pictures.
Would you share with us a bit more details: turbo brand supplier, downtime, accessories needed, approx costs ?

BTW, it makes an incredible plane out of a superb one !
Did you plan to install TKS in coordination with Peter ? :-))

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 21 May 08:19

chrisparker wrote:

At max weight (1715 kg) 500-650 fpm all the way to the critical altitude, about FL200.

That is what I remember too from flying at turbo-normalised Be33 a long time ago (except for the lower MTOM). The climb rate was about the same regardless of weight.

LFPT, LFPN

chrisparker wrote:

but again we got caught up with commercial passengers going through security.

That is strange. In France I have always been whisked ahead of the queue of commercial passengers, including at La Rochelle, watching me with envy while I stacked all my wine boxes on the x-ray machine

LFPT, LFPN

A turbo is just amazing

Back in 2002 I had the option of the TB21 but chose to not go for it because it was another 60k, another few months’ wait (the TB20 was available immediately), and I was given partially duff info about a much bigger engine fund.

Now, I don’t regret that decision except when I need to go higher Also, to date, not a single TIO540 owner I know has made 1000hrs (provably i.e. under his continuous ownership) without cracked cylinders…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At max weight (1715 kg) 500-650 fpm all the way to the critical altitude, about FL200. On air test, at light weight, I was still climbing at 400 fpm at FL240.

Last Edited by chrisparker at 21 May 06:38
Spending too long online

200 KTAS @ FL200 with 60 LPH seems as good performance. What rate of climb can you get between FL140 and FL200?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Although I’m flying lean of peak so if I went rich of peak for full power I’d probably get 205-210 at FL250.

Spending too long online
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message