Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB IR and EIR published today

When and where is the common reduced theory for both EIR and the CB IR ready? I need to sign up!

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Peter

Sometimes you amaze me..

Fot the conversion, any IRE can do the test and yes .. No fto is required. Now wether you do not need triaining is a different matter. It still is a normal checkride according to the european standards. But you can do that training with a freelance FI/IR.

The thing is, from what I gather, that in the UK your CAA almost always designated a CAA employed examiner for an IR checkride.
That is definitely not the case in many other countries. Ditto for my country.

You are under EASA now.. With this new law any ICAO Ir holder meeting the 50 PIC under ifr flight plan .. After obtaining his rating .. may go to any IRE and do his oral and checkride … Provided the examiner informs the countrie of issue CAA beforehand and gets briefed. For the UK a small online briefing & test must be done by the examiner to be approved. This is free of charge.. I think the typical price here would be in the order of € 350?

As for the TK knowledge .. It is suppossed to have been weeded and trimmed tremendously allthough I doubt that we will see any changes before the next 3 or 4 months or so because it the training facilities and the testorganisations will need to clean up their databses which is a monks job.

Last Edited by Commander at 16 Mar 07:47

Sometimes you amaze me..

Which part?

The CAA which holds your license may be “obliged” to honour a test done in another country, but if they choose not to, your only option is to take legal action. That will be a few k just to get started.

A while ago the UK CAA published a proposal to charge £630 for the right to nominate a non UK examiner (here, page 15). That was to stop people doing exactly this. That proposal may have been withdrawn. But anybody who can really understand the whole present picture deserves a Nobel prize in literature. How many times has the “instrument time” changed to “IFR time” and back again?

Personally I know just two people who do understand it. One posts here occasionally, though rarely and usually only very briefly, and the other told me he will never post here (no idea why) A pity, since EuroGA has by far the biggest readership of any “European” pilot forum, and is the only one on which anybody bothers to write anything substantial and which is open to the public.

I know several FTO owners and they don’t understand it either.

No wonder the number of N-reg IR holders doing IR conversions is very close to zero.

I get emails every day from pilots asking me if I understand it.

Last Edited by Peter at 16 Mar 09:42
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am in discussion with an industry examiner to convert and will update as and when I can get things going.

Logically speaking, if no FTO or training is mandated for a conversion from an ICAO IR, and realistically most people will need to brush up their test passing skills, there seems to be no reason why the “brush up” could not be with anyone who knows what they are doing; for example an instructor who can’t be bothered to jump through EASA hoops to renew their rating, or similar. Or a freelance instructor, or an FTO.

Doing it with an FTO is possibly the most assured way of doing it, as they will be fully current with EASA testing.

I seem to recall Jim Thorpe posting on here to say something along the lines that he will be doing conversions as soon as the law takes force, as there is no course or TK approval to get approved.

edit: found the thread
http://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/2007-cb-ir-any-ftos-preparing-to-run-it?page=3

Last Edited by Neil at 16 Mar 12:18
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Checking the EASA homepage there is no AMC & GM ready or even an NPA – or am I missing something?

Without AMC & GM I do not believe that an ATO can write an application for CBIR approval.

The lex-EU removes any doubt that this is the future for IR (& EIR) training. That is great news. But I wonder about the time schedule for completing the AMC & GM.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

It normally doesn’t take long (i.e. no more than days) for AMC/GM to be published. The latest draft will be in the corresponding CRD.

@peter

If the caa trows up a hurdle just move your license to Holland or France. It is time you came of that island

@Neil .. You can even train with a vfr only safety pilot if you so choose. However a good fi/ir who is well known with the easa ir exams is much smarter.. And can never hurt. Wether this fi is attached to an fto is really not very interesting.

Jim thorpe will surely be a very good choice..

For those of us that are on FAA only licenses, does this mean the FAA IR can be converted directly to an EASA license? Sorry, but I only moved to the UK 18 months ago and I am a bit out of touch on the EASA IR.

Thanks, -Jason

Great Oakley, U.K. & KTKI, USA

No, you would first need to convert your FAA licence to an EASA licence

(2) The holder of an ICAO licence shall comply with the following minimum
requirements:
(a) pass a written examination in Air Law and Human Performance;
(b) pass the PPL, skill test, in accordance with Part-FCL;
(c) fulfil the requirements for the issue of the relevant class or type rating,
(d) hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate, issued in accordance with Part-
Medical;
(e) demonstrate that he/she has acquired language proficiency in accordance with
FCL.055;
(f) have completed at least 100 hours of flight time as a pilot.
obtain a UK FRTOL

and then you can add the IR

8. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL and a valid IR issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4. In order to be issued the IR, the applicant shall:
(a) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(b) demonstrate to the examiner during the skill test that he/she has acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology and flight planning and performance (IR); and
(c) have a minimum experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes.

As your FAA licence will not be valid on a EASA aircraft after 7th April 2015 then you will need at least to convert the licence.

As your FAA licence will not be valid on a EASA aircraft after 7th April 2015

I think, strictly speaking, the FAA license always remains valid on the N-reg aircraft (note for JJBeal: “EASA aircraft” are basically all aircraft with a CofA so that includes N-regs, perversely) because it was issued by the State of Registry (the USA). Nobody but the USA can mess with that.

What has happened is that EASA, via being an agency of the EU, has pushed through a law which forces all EU member countries to require the pilots to have additional licenses/ratings, issued by EASA. That is possible because every country retains total jurisdiction over its airspace and can make additional requirements. But it cannot declare the State of Registry licenses/ratings void.

There are scenarios where these EASA licenses/ratings are not valid to fly the N-reg aircraft! For example the moment I fly my N-reg out of UK airspace, VFR, my UK issued PPL is invalid. The moment I fly my N-reg out of UK airspace, IFR, my UK issued IR is invalid. These UK issued papers do not comply with FAR 61.3. EASA could just as well have required that I obtain a taxidermy certificate…

The ICAO to EASA pilot papers conversion route is a reasonable outcome, and better than most expected, but it does introduce, for IR holders, the JAA IR annual revalidation requirement. That is a flight with an IRE, or CRE/IRR, and which costs a good £150, plus the cost of the aircraft/fuel/etc, plus the cost of the DfT permission (this permission will be sold by the CAA, via a website, for something like £100) if the flight is done in UK airspace. The workarounds for the DfT/CAA permission are

• doing the flight outside UK airspace, or
  • doing it with an instructor who doesn’t make a charge for the flight (but perhaps charges for ground school)
  • doing it with an instructor who gets paid in cash (dodgy for various reasons, and I would be amazed if many do it nowadays, after the famous 2005 prosecution)

The FAA does not use this annual test, and its IR safety record is as good, so this flight does not improve safety. It just feeds the CAA, via the annual fees it charges to the examiners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message