Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

CBIR hours in Canada or US

Currently trying to figure out how to do the practical part of my CBIR. Hourly rates (even in sims) in Switzerland are just insane…

A few questions I couldn’t find answers for:

1. As far as I understand, you can do 30 hours of your CBIR training outside an ATO with an FI. Could I fly those hours in the US or Canada with a local instrument-rated FI or does he need to be EASA-rated?

2. What about the night rating? Can I do a Canadian night rating and convert that to the EASA one?

3. If someone has done this before: would you recommend getting the 30 hours abroad, than come back to EASA land and finish the remaining 10 hours in an ATO? What are the disadvantages? How did the ATOs react when you did this?


1 – needs to be EASA rated

2 – no

3 – no, the IR is highly procedural and 10hours is nowhere near enough for the average candidate to be at test standard unless the training leading up has been test focussed and with someone experienced for Initial IR training. I would bet you would waste large amounts of money and time doing it that way – get someone in Europe who know what they are doing in training for test.

Good luck!

Now retired from forums best wishes

How about FAA IR then on return to Europe training as required plus test.

Bathman wrote:

How about FAA IR then on return to Europe training as required plus test.

FAA IR + 50 hrs PIC under IFR + familiriasation with relevant EASA regulations and flight planning + skill test

And all preferably before April 2019

Last Edited by Aviathor at 16 Nov 21:24

I thought that if you had a ICAO IR you could simply sit the IR test in EASA land

Bathman wrote:

I thought that if you had a ICAO IR you could simply sit the IR test in EASA land

Please refer to Part-FCL Appendix 6, Section Aa:

8. Applicants for the competency-based modular IR holding a Part-FCL PPL or CPL and a valid IR issued in compliance with the requirements of Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention by a third country may be credited in full towards the training course mentioned in paragraph 4. In order to be issued the IR, the applicant shall:
(a) successfully complete the skill test for the IR in accordance with Appendix 7;
(b) demonstrate to the examiner during the skill test that he/she has acquired an adequate level of theoretical knowledge of air law, meteorology and flight planning and performance (IR); and
(c) have a minimum experience of at least 50 hours of flight time under IFR as PIC on aeroplanes

You do not need to sit any TK exam. You need 50 hrs PIC under IFR and the skill test. But during the skill test, prior to the flight, the examiner is supposed to give you an aural examination in the subjects mentioned above. And if you get the FAA IR and are not familiar with IFR flight planning and flying in Europe, in order to pass the skill test you should familiarise yourself with the European IFR environment and flight planning prior to the skill test.

I did the conversion in 2014 and spent quite a bit of time reading FCL and OPS regulations in preparation. At that time I already had flown a few hundred hours IFR in Europe on my FAA IR.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 17 Nov 07:55

Thank you

The 50hr bit oscillated a few times between “IFR time” and “instrument time” and to the surprise of UK pilots EASA settled on “IFR time”. Surprising because you can log IFR time on a plain PPL, in CAVOK, just by flying in accordance with instrument flight rules i.e. whole-number flight level, etc.

Whether the IR examiner doing the IR test will accept that is another matter…

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Check the Portuguese / Spain schools, they probably have much lower rates than Switzerland

Aviathor wrote:

And all preferably before April 2019

Is anyone offering odds on whether this is (yet again) a ‘hard’ or ’soft date?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top