Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR & Night Rating later on

Let’s assume I don’t have a Night Rating and complete the CBIR. As far as I understand, there’ll be a restriction in my license saying that I’m not allowed to exercise my IFR privileges during night time. What happens if I complete the Night Rating after that? Will this restriction be lifted automatically? It would be logical, but I’ve learned a long time ago that not everything follows logic when it comes to licensing…

As far as I know, you need to have a night rating in order to train for a CBIR.

EGSU, United Kingdom

I have got a CB IR and don’t have a night rating so no you don’t need one to start training , just the restriction. I am doing my night rating in January and understand I will then be fully legal for night IFR but can’t say I have spent too much time researching the minutiae of legality.

Fernando wrote:

As far as I know, you need to have a night rating in order to train for a CBIR.

I have CBIR and no night rating. I have problems with colors and are thus medical restricted to day only. Part of the new rules for IR was to accept people to get the IR even if they were day only restricted.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

When the CAA (or other NAA if you are overseass) reprint your licence to issue the Night Rating they should remove the restriction on the IR

Now retired from forums best wishes

As I said, as far as I knew… and I was wrong :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

When I started CBIR, I was asked if I wanted to exercise it at night, and said, yes ok and went through night rating. As far as I understand it, I could have said no, and still would have been able to complete CBIR, which then would be restricted to day time. From what I understand, the night rating is an extra entry in the license, so you should be able to do it anytime you want

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Honestly I wouldn’t go through the hassle of doing it in that order. Getting a night rating is easy (and useful!) so just tack it on at the start of your CB-IR course.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

…unless you do the rating in the summer ant can’t get the night flying done for lack of airfields that are open late enough…

Biggin Hill

I don’t think it is important. Do it in the order that suits you best. But if you are saving the night rating for after you have the IR, and all the IR training has been done in daylight, I would strongly advice that as much of your night training as possible should be done IFR.
Because as I read the rules, they allow for a pilot to fly night IFR as PIC without having ever trained night IFR.

Last Edited by huv at 30 Dec 17:20
huv
EKRK, Denmark
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message