Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR / European IR to FAA IR

HBadger wrote:

I am going for the IFP, so I should be fine. Test will be next week, wish me luck.

Hey
How did it went ?

I’m in the same boat, but my biggest problem is right now, I can’t go to the US, as the borders are closed for non-US people coming from the EU.

How did you manage to travel stateside ?

LFBZ, France

NCYankee wrote:

What is a CB IR? What is required for the rating?

https://peter-ftp.co.uk/aviation/patrick-cbir//EASA-CB-IR.pages.pdf

always learning
LO__, Austria

@qalupalik

Thanks for the clarification.

I am going for the IFP, so I should be fine. Test will be next week, wish me luck.

Switzerland

@HBadger

quatrelle wrote:

I sat the IRA test [and] was told that I had sat the wrong exam, I should have sat the Instrument Rating Foreign Pilots exam, so I had to do it all over again.

That is the policy stated in FAA Order 8080.6 (Conduct of Airman Knowledge Tests), ch 4 s 3, bullet point 5:

The instrument rating test may not be substituted for the Instrument Rating Foreign Pilot (IFP) test.

The policy in FSIMS (see post 16) is misleading and I have asked the Airman Testing Standards Branch to consider revising it.

Private Pilot Certificate. When a private pilot certificate is issued
on the basis of a foreign pilot license and the foreign pilot license
has instrument rating/privileges, in order for that person to receive
instrument privileges on the U.S. pilot certificate, the person must
pass either the IFP knowledge test or the standard instrument rating
(i.e., Instrument—Airplane, Instrument—Helicopter, or
Instrument—Powered-lift) knowledge test, and the standard instrument
rating practical test (refer to § 61.65).

London, United Kingdom

HBadger wrote:

Any recommendations?

I took the IFP exam and used the AviationExam question bank to prepare. That was in December 2018 and the question bank pretty much covered the questions that came up in the exam.

I have the UK CBIR (marked as such in my UK licence). No problem having that transferred across to the FAA 61.75 as “Instrument”. It is after all an ICAO compliant IR.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

Any recommendations?

I used an app by Dauntless Aviation. That was ten years ago, but I think they’re still around. Unless things have changed significantly, the test is not a big thing. I even got the advice that preparation on the commercial flight to the US will suffice. While I think this is an exaggeration, a week in advance with an hour of preparation each day is enough.

EDIT: I should probably add that this wasn’t too long after my EASA CPL/IR so my TK was rather current.

Last Edited by terbang at 04 Jun 07:09
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

No more FAA written exams in Europe came in approx 5 years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, i did a lot of googling and it seems it is virtually impossible to take the IFP test in Europe.

So I signed up in the US. Will fly there and take in 2 weeks. Seems the first attempt can be done without any prior endorsement/certificate/proof of any kind of preparation or course.

Now I need to prepare, my plan is to register for one of those test question online services/apps (i.e. skip the actual studying of theoretical content).
Any recommendations?

Switzerland

HBadger wrote:

Now I only need to get a IFP /IRA test.

With respect to whats been said already ….

I already held a UK Licence with I/R but wanted a stand alone FAA Licence with I/R, this was 15 years ago so things may have changed, and I could have been given the wrong info at the time, which was not not surprising with the amount of contradictory information being offered.

I sat the IRA test at Farnborough and when I submitted my documents I was told that I had sat the wrong exam, I should have sat the Instrument Rating Foreign Pilots exam, so I had to do it all over again.

Its amazing what you forget in 4 weeks

HBadger wrote:

Surprisingly, the DPE I contacted told me the whole process from his side can be done via zoom.

Now I only need to get a IFP /IRA test.

What’s the latest on test centers in Europe? Maybe I don’t have to fly to the US for this after all…

I am in the same boat, for 2 years now, I am looking to re-issue my FAA61.75, get FAA IR on basis of EASA IR and upgrade to FAA CPL (subject to TSA clearance), everything seems piece of cake and can be done outside US (via Zoom or DPE in EU) except IFP/IRA/CPL theory tests, these has to be done in the US

AFAIK, there are no FAA theory exams outside US, except few USAF bases in UK/Germany where FAA does organize tests, the answer I got they are not available to civilians, only to USAF personnel (not even to current/ex-NATO serviceman)

PS: if you have a lead please PM ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jun 12:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message