Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Century IIB autopilot fixed

The C11B uses the 52D66 gyro with just a roll pick-off. The Century 111 uses the 52D67 with pitch and roll pick-offs. None of the Garmin gyro emulators – GAD43/e (G500/Txi), GAD29b (G5) or the new GI275 can be used to replace these old gyros.
Sigmatek make direct replacement 5000E gyros with attitude pick-offs for those with old/broken Century units. This could be installed in the turn co-ordinator location if a glass primary display is desired.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

KI256 / KG258?

This may not be the desired answer but I’ve been flying behind vac pumps and KI256s for 18 years and it really isn’t a big fish to fry. I’ve never had a vac pump fail (I change them as soon as the vacuum falls below the green arc) and I have a spare KI256 and change then over. They come up on US Ebay rgularly and cheaply.

I would spend money on a more flashy navigator (IFD or GTN), TAS…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

The GI-275 (which I suggested above) turns out to be as useless for an older Century AP as the G5 for the King stuff, unfortunately. It will only do heading and not attitude.
To be fair, it can do attitude for a whole bunch of autopilots, just not the Century II/III/IV.
Peter wrote:
What is the current attitude source for the Century AP?
The vacuum-driven AI.
ESMK, Sweden

What is the current attitude source for the Century AP?

Administrator

The GI-275 (which I suggested above) turns out to be as useless (as @Arne pointed out) for an older Century AP as the G5 for the King stuff, unfortunately. It will only do heading and not attitude.
Given time, perhaps the AV-30 will fill a void, or, just maybe, Dynon (but at a much higher cost, and possibly not in EASA planes).
But seriously, price out an Aspen E5, it recently got a nice software upgrade and does a real HSI representation.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I haven’t been following this in detail, but is the GI275 possibly relevant for the attitude?

Administrator

ah this really sucks.

That’s why you want to get rid of the vacuum system…

LFMD, France

Arne wrote:

It can fake the HSI and heading bug to the Autocontrol II/Century IIB, but not the attitude.

ah this really sucks.

Switzerland

Back to Aspen I guess… Not that bad of an idea…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

take a look at the GI-275 instead of the G5
It can fake the HSI and heading bug to the Autocontrol II/Century IIB, but not the attitude.

Unfortunately.
ESMK, Sweden
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message