Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 172 bimble

Nothing out of the ordinary, but still a very enjoyable, classic „bimble“ today in the C172.
Took off from Mainz and bimbled across rural parts of Rheinland-Pfalz. It was nice with some snow here and there, of which we have had so little in the German flatlands this winter.

First waypoint after leaving the circuit of Mainz (EDFZ), the city of Bad Kreuznach.

Proceeding further southwestbound. 95-100 knots had to suffice..

A bit of snow here and there…

The town of Baumholder. A lot of military there.

My turning point: the airfield of Hoppstaedten-Weiersbach (EDRH).

Next waypoint: Idar-Oberstein.

Here is the airfield (EDRG). The runway had some snowy patches and the airfield was not operating.

Next waypoint: the airfield of Bad Sobernheim-Domberg (EDRS), with its „kinked“ runway. As you can see, there was an ultralight operating there.

The Rotenfels, next to the river Nahe, just to the southwest of Bad Kreuznach.

Overview and the old city centre of Bad Kreuznach:

After that, it was straight back to Mainz. And then back into the hangar.

C172, Navion A, C177RG, 2x Bonanza F33A, Bonanza G36, Mooney M20K, Piper Arrow, C414 and a Phenom Jet.

Track flown:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Feb 21:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good to see somebody flying…

EGKK 010506Z 0106/0212 23012KT 9999 FEW030 PROB30 TEMPO 0106/0118 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 0106/0111 23015G25KT BECMG 0121/0124 VRB03KT TEMPO 0123/0210 8000 -RA BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 0200/0205 3000 +SHRA SHGS PROB40 TEMPO 0205/0208 3000 RADZ BKN003 BECMG 0208/0211 29010KT

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That‘s a pretty decent TAF actually, for today. A bit windy possibly, but otherwise good.

Thanks for the nice write up and pictures. Really nice panel (is it a 172 with conti 6 cyl?)! The Tower reminds of Kuehkopf next to EDRK.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 01 Mar 19:48
always learning
LO__, Austria

That’s a lovely quiver of machinery in that hangar.
Great write up as always. Thanks Bosco.

United Kingdom

Looking at this photo and others on the net, that’s got to be one of the nicest Navions around. The type suffers from decades of low valuation and associated lack of maintenance. There are only a few really nice ones. Judging by the N-number this one looks to have been at Oshkosh in the 90s.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Mar 02:13

Jep, it‘s a F model. The HSI is shot; but the aircraft will get 2x G5 soon.

That Navion does indeed look nice. But flies only very rarely. That is saying something. Actually, most of the aircraft in that hangar don‘t fly that much. But maybe that impression is because I fly mostly on weekends, and some of these aircraft (like the Bo‘s) fly on weekdays, for business.

That’s some hangar! The floor looks clean enough to do brain surgery on.

What is the history of the hangar? (internet search gives some background on the airfield history) but not many details on how you ended up with such a great place to park airplanes under.

How much per month – and what type of waiting list?

Thank you for a pleasant sight seeing. The C172, which I fly only rarely, is very good for that. Good to be reminded what snow on the ground looks like. A yes, seeing that hangar makes me ashamed of most of the hangars I usually pull aircraft out of.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message