Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 Seat Bets Overhaul: 10 years

Hello,

My 2006 Cessna 182 T will soon reach her 10 years, and the seat belts will have to be changed, according to the MM.

Ordering new belts from Cessna will probably be extremely expensive.

Do you know about good solutions to overhaul them and get a 8130 / form 1 certificate ?

Regards
Alexandre.

Is the MM 100% binding according to your approved maintenance program?

Would be totally daft to touch the seat belts on a ten year old Cessna…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The answer will depend on the country in which the acft is registered and where the mention to R&R the belts is in the MM.

IF it is US-FAA registered, then it is only mandatory if it is in Chapter IV of the MM .

It also becomes mandatory if it is in the TCDS or by AD.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Looks like the 182 is French reg’d : F-HIND

You should have an up-to-date KARDEX for F-HIND that states exactly what the replacement/overhaul time states are so there should be NO surprises !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes that’s mine, F-reg.

I do have a copy of the Kardex, where you can find:
- the Electronic Module Assy exchange every 7 years (actually it could be overhaul the first 7 years, and exchange the next time).
- the AMSAFE inflator assy every 10 years. I thought that was only the gas cartridge that was due (about 250$ each), but the workshop told me that all the belts / restraints were due, including the webbing and the winding mechanism.
I was said around 1000$ each, that’s why I was enquiring for a possible overhaul.

There’s a clear reference to the AMSAFE service letter so no reason to argue with the workshop…

I really don’t want to argue !

I just didn’t expect, because the SN (indicated in the Kardex) lead (Cessna parts website) to the inflator system only, and not the whole restraint system.

My question is as following: is exchange of the restraint system mandatory, or overhaul (cheaper I guess) possible ?
Actually the aircraft has 800h TT only, and replacing may not be worth.

PS: Do you have a link to the AMSAFE service letter ?

Thanks all !!!!

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 25 May 09:28

Google shows the service letter as first hit:

https://aviataircraft.com/pix/obullletins/AMSAFESL25-031_18_08.pdf

All I’m saying is that the Kardex is very clear, there is no room for the mechanic claiming that this and that has to be done.

Thanks for the link.

Achimba, do you suggest that the inflator assembly alone has to be changed, as indicated in the Kardex ?
And that indeed, there shouldn’t be any argument with the workshop as it is clearly stated ?
(I didn’t get that meaning at first reading !)

I read, sometime ago, that the restraint system was time limited on new cessnas… That’s why I am a bit confused about what really has to be changed or overhauled

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-technicians/365092-replacing-cessna-seatbelts-ga.html

Our old C182, also on the French Register, had the same requirement.

We looked about, but there was no escape – all very expensive and completely unnecessary (nothing wrong with the existing belts).

Have since returned to an N reg machine, and won’t be venturing away again!

Cheers, Sam.

50 Posts
Sign in to add your message