Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 525A Citation overruns runway at Antwerp Airport

Croatian registered Citation damaged in accident in Antwerp link here.

Aviation Safety Network report

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

For some reason, runway overrun seems to be the most popular accident type on bizjets. Why is that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For some reason, runway overrun seems to be the most popular accident type on bizjets. Why is that?

Sounds like another case of …. too much momentum … not enough runway

quatrelle wrote:

Sounds like another case of …. too much momentum … not enough runway

Obviously that the direct reason for all overruns. But why are bizjets hit harder?

I can speculate that they often use airports with shorter runways.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They also fly more frequently to airports they are not familiar with and without a 3D instrument approach, so more risk of getting the approach wrong and ending up too fast and/or high

Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

But why are bizjets hit harder?

Most are missing thrust reversers and also pulling the power back on short final does not slow it down like a prop plane. I have been a copilot once on a 525 landing on a very wet runway. The anti lock was in full operation but it was a wild ride. The plane I flew had a special 60° flap setting to help braking but it was not as effective as the beta on a turbo prop, not even close. On a car you have 4 wheels maybe similar size for 2 tons. Those things are 4 tons and more on usually 2 wheels with brakes only.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Belgian football player Dries Mertens (Napoli) was the passenger.

EBMO, EBKT

I got info that the plane is not damaged much and, as you know, all who were on board, are ok.

Last Edited by Emir at 03 Feb 11:57
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There are people on here who are much more experienced than I am but I do have a few hundred hours on 525 series.

On all jets energy management is the big issue, a few knots too fast and you are carrying a lot of excess energy. Propellers make a huge difference, in a King Air you pull the power back and the speed bleeds away fast, on a CJ2 you pull the power back and not much happens, speed reduces very slowly.

Hot and high is a recipe for disaster. A typical and tragic accident was the Bin Laden jet at Blackbushe.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message