Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changes to private pilot medical requirements (UK PPL only)

Here:
https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Changes-to-private-pilot-medical-requirements-announced/

If I read this correctly, from this summer, if you hold a UK only PPL (not EASA) you can fly without a class 2 but with a DVLA Group 1 (whatever that is).

“Currently, UK PPL holders are able to fly EASA aircraft using the privileges of a LAPL. This is anticipated to change in 2018, at which point the benefits of this change in medical requirements will decrease for those pilots. However, we aim to influence EASA in considering reviewing the medical requirements for EASA Private Pilot licence holders flying EASA aircraft.”

Do you guys think this is possible? I mean, UK convincing EASA that you don’t need a class 2 for a non commercial EASA ppl?

Last Edited by geekyflyer at 13 May 13:25

Kudos to the CAA for forging ahead of the FAA on this, but whenever the US "Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2” passes its legislative stages I think the EASA tail will have to follow the FAA dog.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes I think there is a fair chance of persuading EASA to go down the same route.

There is lots of good UK safe history using medical declarations for the NPPL, and that, together with pressure from the CAA (and indirectly the US changes) might do the trick.

Egnm, United Kingdom

How about doing away with the two-ear audiogram?

There is an unofficial route around it but no AME wants to discuss it openly, which is typical of thr European AME scene…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Since when did EASA ever look at the evidence?

The CAA has become obsessed with making useless gestures and claiming it is helping GA. If the medical does not meet ICAO recommendations, then you are stuck to the country of licence issue in a non EASA aircraft. i.e. it appears to be a relaxation of the rules for Microlights!

What are the medical requirements for the LAPL, and what privileges does it have?

I know you can’t add any form of IR, but what are the aircraft limitations?

Also how does it compare with the UK NPPL?

Administrator

Tumbleweed wrote:

The CAA has become obsessed with making useless gestures and claiming it is helping GA. If the medical does not meet ICAO recommendations, then you are stuck to the country of licence issue in a non EASA aircraft. i.e. it appears to be a relaxation of the rules for Microlights!

There are quite a lot of Annex 2 aircraft like Super Cubs which can be flown on a UK PPL. I suspect home built types can too. It has the potential to be quite a few aircraft.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Can one fly outside the UK on this?

Hence my LAPL question. I thought that had a GP medical too.

Various instructors have reported here that “nobody” is doing the LAPL, but that could be for other reasons.

Administrator

I think the whole point of the US “PBR2” is that when enacted, it will be ICAO compliant. The private pilot must have a medical certificate. All that changes is the means whereby the validity of that certificate is maintained.

Incidentally, if I have an FAA piggy-back pilot certificate, it seems that I can fly N-reg in Europe (and G-reg in UK etc.) on a US class 3 medical…

So where’s the catch?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message