Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Check density altitude (a gravity defying Stinson takeoff)

I admire the photographer, manage to hold the camera and zoom.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

From the comments:

Completely wishful thinking IMHO. Density altitude was the least of his problems.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Completely wishful thinking IMHO.

Indeed. With something like that you get away once in your life – if you are lucky. Videos like that are the reason why I have never allowed my son (my wife is scared enough of flying) to fly with private pilots that I don’t know personally.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Actually, I think it looks a closer shave than it was, and he only touched the soft new growth of the trees. What could possibly go wrong with that?

It gives a new meaning to the phrase “bush pilot”…

Last Edited by Jacko at 05 Sep 20:29
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It gives a new meaning to the phrase “bush pilot”…

I thought there was more than enough innuendo in the average flying school already

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As this one was near to my stomping grounds, I had previously looked it up. Not that it matters, but I recall it was a female pilot.

The article I read implied they learned their lesson and are still flying the Stinson.

Last Edited by Canuck at 06 Sep 07:11
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Canuck wrote:

The article I read implied they learned their lesson and are still flying the Stinson.

This one?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

On the subject of Stinsons and high density altitudes, I’m sure some of you have seen this one:

NTSB full narrative

NTSB probable cause

An interesting comment by the pilot was that he thought he couldn’t lean the mixture for takeoff (and if you look closely at the video, it seems to be at full rich). There’s probably a way of estimating how much horsepower he gave away taking off at 9000ft+ density altitude with the mixture full rich.

Andreas IOM

mh wrote:

Canuck wrote:

This one?

Good on her to fess up !

@Canuck: in the second video (in the thread linked to in mh’s post) a Cessna takes off from the same field with a blinking landing light. Is this a Canadian thing? Never seen anything like it.

@172driver : Yes, pulse lights are quite common, at least in Western Canada. They are an offshoot of the wig/wag concept, kind of a poor man’s strobe lights. There are three settings for the landing light, ‘off’, ‘pulse’ and ‘on’.

The West Coast often has poor weather and the days are short in winter, so it is natural to want to have your lights on for visibility. However, the normal 45XX series bulbs don’t seem to last that long if you fly around with them ‘on’. Perhaps 20-30 hours. My mechanic said that the bulbs seem to last much longer with the ‘pulse’ setting. That being said, I know I have changed quite a few anyways…

I think the modern solution is to go all LED and also use strobes. I also get the impression that strobes are more common on US based aircraft in general.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message