Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Checking the windsock on short final

I only ask because i was asked this weekend the difference between RADIO and INFORMATION in England.

Easy RADIO (AGCS) is much like the German INFO. A radio operator to give information about runway, wind traffic., but he is not allowed to give clearances or instructions.

INFORMATION (AFIS): gives instructions from stand to holding point on departure or after landing roll on arrival. In essence he gives you taxi instructions.

You find all information in CAP413 and supplements on the CAA website

United Kingdom

I wonder how many people check the windsock at the last moment?>

I do, and I always like to know in advance (using Pooleys) where to look for the windsock when I am going somewhere new.

At Shoreham, you will often see the windsocks all pointing in (sometimes VERY) different directions, which can be a tad confusing!

UK, United Kingdom

I have learned through various episodes to check the windsock on final (when I can find it) but still got caught out at a coastal strip in California when the landing seemed a bit fast. Conferring with a local guy after parking, he gestured toward the solid cone type windsock and said "Oh, the trees have grown up around it. It doesn't go round anymore".

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

If you normally land only at AFIS/TWR/INFO aerodromes it's easy that you get used to rely on wind check from the ground, but I do a fair amount of flying from/to unattended fields, so I always do my best to find out where the windsock is to check the wind.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

I always look for the windsock - but 'look' is the word, even if I know where it should be. Too many have been up for years and that bright orange has gone. Dirty greeny/brown thing that blends into the back ground and should have been replaced way-back!! - any rules / guidelines on this.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

If joining overhead an uncontrolled field or airfield with a/g radio only, I'll have a good look at the windsock in order to make certain that I'm picking or accepting an approach for the correct runway. At an airfield with ATC I'll listen to the weather given and make my approach accordingly and deal with the wind according to 'feel'. Very often, at big airfields or airports, the wind sock is so far from the threshold as to be almost irrelevant.

As a digression, there was a story doing the rounds from an Australian pilot who had been flying for some years delivering supplies in the outback. One community had been repeatedly passed over for their weekly delivery because of a stonking cross-wind. After nearly a month of abortive approaches, said pilot turns up one day to see the windsock hanging limp, so positons to land - only to encounter a surprisingly difficult approach and landing.

Upon taxiing to park, he discovers that the local community has been getting hungry and, sick of being passed over for supplies, had filled the wind-sock with stones to make it hang downwards....

I have no time to watch the windsock on short final, because I'm occupied watching all the interesting stuff my girlfriend sees and enthusiastically start talking about... ;-)

I would generally try to. But I suppose the more 'interesting' (windy) days mean that I am already too busy and all too aware of where the wind is coming from to have time (or the need) to check the wind sock again on short final.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Checking the windsock doesn't always mean that you choose the correct runway.

I once made the mistake of selecting the opposite runway instead, having checked the windsock, made a note of the relatively high wind (it stood out like made of metal) down the runway.

The approach was flown at warp speed and the 2km runway utilized to its full length to stop the Rockwell Commander 114B. While taxying back, wondering why everything went by so fast, and glancng at the windsock again, I realized my mistake. One of THE most embarrassing moments of my flying career so far. Fortunately, I only scared myself, nobody else was around.

Nowadays, I sometimes amuse myself watching students and other fellow pilots make the same mistake, while keeping a watchful eye for safety reasons...

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

In my opinion the short final is not the best place to look for or at the windsock. I do it when I enter the pattern of an unmanned airfield (I know where it is because I have found it on the AIP chart when planning my flight) and choose the runway accordingly.

If there is an ATC or an AFIS agent, I rely on the information he gives me.

Incidentally, in France an AFIS agent issues no clearance. He just provides information, wherever you are, including aprons and taxiways. You simply keep him posted. For exemple : "taxiing to holding point whatever". You never request clearance from him, either in the air or on the ground.

That's different from Germany according to what was written in an other post:

INFORMATION (AFIS): gives instructions from stand to holding point on departure or after landing roll on arrival. In essence he gives you taxi instructions.

SE France
Sign in to add your message