Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CICZ Transit

I am planning to head down into France in couple of weeks for an overnight stay at Nantes. Shortest routing from Bournemouth is through the CICZ. Normally when I am there, destination is the channel islands and VFR always seems to be kept very low. Anyone had any experience of just doing a transit and being up at FL55/65/75 ready to join the French Class E VFR routes south?

EGBP, United Kingdom

I wrote this on this site, maybe it will help, maybe not because I didnt go through Jersey, but I was on class E airspace. I also recently went to Jersey on a separate flight, and while I landed there, on the route back I wanted to climb ASAP to FL75 so was handed over from Jersey APP to Jersey Zone who authorised it. I 'think' that zone will give you the clearance to enter and maintain certain heights, but the individual Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney APP people are the ones who require you to keep relatively low altitudes. I'd assume that Jersey zone will allow you to transit at whatever level they maintain control over, and if they see your route will conflict with other traffic, then they will route you elsewhere accordingly.

However I could be completely wrong so maybe try calling someone in Jersey to see what they reckon, or be prepared to have to sink down low.

I've heard others complain about being kept low but I've never experienced that. I've never gone less than 6.5K unless weather restricted. Did it last year at FL100. All SVFR.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanks gents. Will give Jersey Zone an early heads up for a climb and see what happens. It won't be a disaster being low. Now hoping this promised high for July holds!

EGBP, United Kingdom

WB

Two things that might help.

1. File your flight plan for the highest level that you are likely to want. Then everyone knows what you want.

2. Try to be at your desired level before making contact with Jersey Zone. So rather than asking for a climb in their zone, you're asking for a transit at your present level.

In general I've found these two things help when looking for higher levels in controlled airspace.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message