Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Circuit etiquette

Perth, Scotland, springs easily to mind. At times, three runways, all in use, gyro copters, Helios, fixed wing, micro lights, hot air balloons, even the chap flying with his dog in the RHS. Also non radio types, all at the same time.

So, if in doubt, join overhead, descend dead side of chosen runway, keep fully alert, regardless of what A/G tell you, make numerous, correct position reports that let's everyone know exactly what you are doing and where you are, slot in, and extend downwind for spacing, watching for the pillock that will cut in front of you, because he thinks you are doing an extended circuit.

Call base at ALL times, amazing the amount of pilots that neglect this call, set up final calling miles out, announce short final, contact three in front!!!!!!!

Then land...........

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I was taught that the correct procedure on going round is to move slightly into the dead-side (if there is one) no matter which side that is. The idea is to observe the whole active circuit out of one window, even if it is on the RHS.

Exactement! And to clarify...moving to the dead side does not mean moving away to circuit width...it means moving about 100m laterally a) to avoid that collision risk from below, and b) so that the runway can be seen (although this is more difficult in a RH pattern if solo)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Perth, Scotland, springs easily to mind. At times, three runways, all in use, gyro copters, Helios, fixed wing, micro lights, hot air balloons, even the chap flying with his dog in the RHS. Also non radio types, all at the same time.

Quite right, I am in there quite frequently and can attest to what you say...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Look, assuming the aircraft in front of you has a right to be there, you have to space from it. It might annoy the heck out of you but so be it - overtaking is not a good idea as if someone is stupid enough to fly a circuit which crosses national boundaries then they probably aren't going to be keeping a good lookout either. Places like Bankstown are not really relevant as they are controlled. It is the typical UK A/G field I am terrified about.

EGTK Oxford

Well I arrived back at home base today in a faster aircraft and two slower types in the circuit adjusted their flights to let me straight in. That was a generous and much appreciated courtesy, and totally avoided a difficult situation which might have arisen if they had pedantically stuck to their "rights".

Co-operation works!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I share the concerns about overtaking, which is why I didn't. That said, when the performance disparity between two aircraft becomes sufficiently great, it is going to be hard not to do so. During a touch-and-go an aircraft may be below stalling speed for part of the ground-roll for part of the time, and some aircraft can climb at a speed well below stalling speed for other aircraft in the circuit. e.g. at Blackbushe (not the airport in question) there are private jet traffic, microlights, and light aircraft all mixed in together. Some of the jets will have an approach speed faster than the vne of the microlights. Admittedly the jets have a separate circuit, but they all share the same final approach, initial climbout and runway.

I turned base at a point where the aircraft, had it been another C152 or similar, would have been plenty far enough ahead of me to give it enough time to carry out a touch-and-go and for me to land after. It took me a while to appreciate quite how much slower it was going. I did some S-turns but they weren't buying me enough time to complete the approach, so I threw it away which I think was the right choice. I flew the subsequent circuit at 65 knots, still having trouble avoiding overtaking the preceding aircraft.

Flying down the runway seemed to be clearly a bad idea - I think there would have been a good chance that the other aircraft would have climbed into me. I can see that turning towards the circuit would be a better alternative for no-deadside airfields, though in that case you have a tricky bit about how to both turn base and end up in the correct order without a collision.

I remember in the summer, having only recently passed my PPL, that I was catching up, when turning base, with a microlight who had extended their base leg. I requested (as being under ATC ) an orbit.

When I got back to the flying school was told that they had had a call from ATC. Thought "Oh S**T or possibly some more polite ladylike term. But they had rung to say to tell me excellent airmanship. Phew!

Presumably would have done the same if it had been when descending deadside. I have heard or read somewhere of a student being told to orbit when on finals to avoid catching up, and subsequently crashing as not being able to hold the height of the orbit as entering from a descent.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

All supports asking for the good old straight in approach! ;)

I may be being dumb but what exactly do you mean by extended base leg? He went through the centreline deliberately?

EGTK Oxford

Deliberately or unintentionally but missed it as was well passed the centreline when turning for finals.

Better than turning 45+ degrees to try and compensate though and coming a cropper if not very experienced.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

He could have just gone missed and had another go rather than stuffing up everyone else's circuit too.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message