Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus crash - why no ELT signal used?

Here

No mention of the ELT.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought that other aircraft had reported a beacon. ANN or Avweb Flash or NTSB?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

ELT antenna on the belly of the cirrus. Not sure would’ve been much help there. And that pilot also had very little time to react as according to reports he was 1000ft AGL when he lost the engine so he probably didn’t activate in the air.

Great argument for always having a PLB though… heading to shoreham in a couple of weeks to pick one up so any advice appreciated !

LFLP

Crossing the channel to buy a PLB seems strange. Would it not be better to buy the PLB before the water crossing? It may also be difficult to register a UK coded PLB in a foreign country.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The Cirrus ELT can be removed from its fitting in the baggage compartment, and you can then take it with you so you basically have a PLB. Since the pilot of that crash was walking around his plane afterwards, I suppose he just didn’t know that he could or should do that with his ELT.

I have my PLB registered in the U.K., even though I don’t live there. I know they don’t like people doing that too much, but when I registered it 7 years ago they let me do it. Back then, German authorities wouldn’t let you register a PLB at all because it was written in some regulation or on some form that an emergency beacon must be linked to a specific craft, and Switzerland would charge an arm and a leg for it (yearly).

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 15 Jan 11:07

Thanks RWY20. Just happen to be there and pilot shop on site so I figure it’s easier that way as opposed to ordering online something I am unfamiliar with. I fly an N-reg so is it not possible to register the PLB in Europe? Must it be registered in the country of the plane or residency of the owner / pilot?

Thanks for any pointers. First time I am buying one, don’t want to pay lot’s of money for something that’s not going to work out!

ps. am aware you can take the ELT out but battery life is very limited compared to a PLB and you would really have to know where it’s located and how to do that (unfortunately it’s never brought up in the training!)

LFLP

My Kannad 406 Compact was bought in the USA and is registered with NOAA there.

I am N reg.

Administrator

Why does the SR22 have the ELT antenna on the bottom? It is sure to break off.

Administrator

I eye witnessed a crash of an SR22 at white waltham (which cartwheeled). Apparently the ELT kept on which was annoying to all the aircraft on approach at heathrow which monitor 121.5

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message