Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus CSIP Training, does it bring you something ?

Hi all, I am an EASA FI-IR, and copilot for a German cargo airline. I would a lot like to continue to instruct, but the flying schools close from where I live seem to be saturated with instructors, don’t even care to reply the mail.
As a another way to use my FI-IR qualification I was considering doing the Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilot (CSIP) course. This cost a lot of money, but I really appreciate the idea behind. But the main point : is it efficient afterwards? I mean, is it really efficient to be called to instruct for owners nearby your home, after the course ?
So I take the opportunity of writing here, looking for some of your feedbacks,
Thanks

Too expensive. In the US, sure it could be worth it. In Europe, save your money… I instruct on Cirrus (without CSIP since no added value whatsoever) and I know CSIP instructors in the US. Maybe they are an exception but they are actually worse than regular instructors:).

Life is not a dress rehearsal, it is ...
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

Just out of curiosity, how much is the course and what does it include? Can you do it in Europe? I only know the pilot Trainings given by CSIPs and its curriculula.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

I believe it’s about $7-8k. It may have changed in the meantime but for training, you’d have to go to Poland or the US.

EBGB KGAI, Belgium

Cirrus training is in a different league.
I’m a PPL/IR with couple of hundred hrs on a DA40 G1000.

Last year when I moved to SR22 I was quoted 4 days instruction @ 600 EUR ex VAT for the difference training. That was with a CISP instructor.

Most FI working in GA don’t make 600 EUR/day doing checkout flights…

I mean, is it really efficient to be called to instruct for owners nearby your home, after the course ?

Depends…

Cirrus created a very good product ecosystem, of which CSIPs are a part of.

After the course you can be „found“ on the Cirrus website map for CSIPs. If that leads to potential customers is hit or miss.

I’m sure the course is a nice experience but an expensive one at around 7-9k USD.

Perhaps drive by the local airfields around EDDP and check out some flight schools or clubs?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I charge regular instruction price on an SR22, or any SE plane for that matter. Why would anyone pay more for a CSIP FI? It’s just Cirrus marketing and some people fall for it. If you find a good instructor, Cirrus training has ZERO added value.

Last Edited by Itsdescendnotgodown at 30 Aug 09:19
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

Thank you all for your answers. I am a bit sceptical when I am reading that there is no added value between a FI with specific extensive training on the Cirrus and a FI without. How that could be ?
I for instance as an instructor wouldn’t feel capable of instructing on a rather “high performance” aircraft I barely flew before. And I also miss the connection and network since I am not originaly neither from Germany nor Eddp.
I will definitly investigate a bit more with local owners and schools. I keep you posted and will write a feedback if I am “crazy” enough to throw the monney to do this training :-)

Perhaps the more important Q to ask is whether any pilot here (in Europe; we have many SR20/SR22 pilots here) has done this training and paid the extra for it / went to the significant extra trouble to go to Poland to do it. A post under Hangar Talk on whether anybody used a CSIP may produce more results.

In the US the insurance companies are a lot more proactive on Cirrus training than here in Europe, although they are extra picky here too. There are various insurance threads which discuss the SR22 insurance situation.

In general, most pilots go for training which is not legally required – especially if it involves a long “holiday” in Poland – only if they have to. It’s the same thing with the FAA/N-reg route; lots of cash-rich and time-poor pilots went that way because they could use freelance instructors, whereas the JAA/EASA system tied you to an FTO and various weird problems e.g. the FTO would not train in your plane, etc, etc… And in the piston GA scene, SR22 owners are at the top of the pile when it comes to being cash-rich and (usually) time-poor.

This thread may also be relevant.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I for instance as an instructor wouldn’t feel capable of instructing on a rather “high performance” aircraft I barely flew before.

It’s a non retract SEP with standard Avidyne or G1000 avionics. While there’s no such thing as too much training, a jet FO with prior FI experience on SEPs should be fine. I recommend to read through the NASA ASR database of Cirrus reports and join COPA and read it up and down.

The local SR22 here can be rented after a 1 hour „proving flight“. Nobody would do a 20 hour transition training in order to fly it… insurance treats it as a bog standard single.

always learning
LO__, Austria
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message