Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 Down in North Sea

Peter wrote:

which is permeable to water

But the glass passivation that covers the chip isn’t, and neither is the silicon crystal.

Peter wrote:

At work we have to bake the chips after 16hrs’ exposure to the air before they can be soldered, otherwise they will crack.

If you buy chips old enough to not be MSL1, then that’s a good idea 8-) Because otherwise, the plastic might crack (due to water turning into steam during soldering); but the silicon die couldn’t care less…

LSZK, Switzerland

So, do flash chips hold their data after direct exposure to water at say 1000psi for some weeks or months?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How would they be exposed to 1000psi anywhere between England and Holland?

mdoerr wrote:

Do you put sugar in your water? Do you mean fresh water?

Some European languages call freshwater “sweet water” (e.g. agua dulce in Spanish, literally sweet water).

Andreas IOM

Yes, same in Czech.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

[[ off topic ]] Those who are into the subject of languages, and picturesque expressions, can check the meaning(s) of Dutch “zoetwaterpiraat” for entertainment…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter wrote:

So, do flash chips hold their data after direct exposure to water at say 1000psi for some weeks or months?

Want to try? I can give you some 8-)

I’d be surprised if they didn’t survive it. Of course, contacting the chip might be a hassle, if the plastic case is sufficiently degenerated, one probably has to strip it and contact the die directly.

LSZK, Switzerland

I think your SD chip should be ok too provided it is rinsed off properly and dried prior to applying any power to it.

LFPT, LFPN

alioth wrote:

Some European languages call freshwater “sweet water”

Most European languages do, except English.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message