Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 „opportunity“

I learned about a Cirrus SR20 that is for sale (apparently due to illness). It is not advertised anywhere yet. Spoke to the owner via phone and it sounds like a good opportunity.

It is a 2006 SR20 GTS (Serial 16XX = post major electric modification). The current owner bought it with 25 hours. It now has 500 flight hours. It was never chartered out or used for training, and it shows. Maintenance was always done by a mx facility. The plane was always hangared. The condition of paint (white with black stripes) and interior (black leather) is very good. GTS means Abvidyne Glass with dual GNS430 (non WAAS). EASA registered.

Obviously a thorough prebuy would be performed including engine boroscope (only 500 hours in 13 years!).

Just as a guestimate, assuming nothing major is revealed at the prebuy, say a number, what would you consider a reasonable price for this plane.

If you happen to own a SR20 I’d also appreciate any pointers on maintenance costs.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Don’t buy an SR20 if you

• want to fly real IFR
  • want to fly in the mountains
  • want to use (typical European) short runways
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How far is the SR20’s actual performance from its POH?

ESMK, Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

Don’t buy an SR20 if you

want to fly real IFR
want to fly in the mountains
want to use (typical European) short runways

Agree. The SR20 is not a full fuel 4 seater and it doesn’t have TKS/Fiki. It also lacks the performance to get out of short fields especially in high temps.

It is however a comfortable IFR in VMC („light IFR“) touring plane. Full fuel allows around 500lbs payload. That’s enough for two adults and baggage or two adults and two kids for a daytrip.

I’d be very interested in your guesstimates on the price of the above liste plane.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Agree. The SR20 is not a full fuel 4 seater and it doesn’t have TKS/Fiki. It also lacks the performance to get out of short fields especially in high temps.

While not as SR22, it still has a chute that could be useful for “no PFL” options or hardcore PFL in Night VFR/IFR or VMC on top of twitchy terrains

Other than this element, I don’t see why Cirrus vs better aircrafts?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 21:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Other than this element, I don’t see why Cirrus vs better aircrafts?

What do you mean?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Setting the chute a side, personally, I would rather go for Skylane/Dakota/Archer as they make more sense than a limited SR20 (or DA40?), I will put all in same “light IFR capability” but some will have better runway & load, of course if you look after RGs you will have better choices that tick the point 2 & 3 mentioned by boscomantico

Point 1 on “real IFR” is tricky, to me while SR20 is not “real IFR” it has a better down side profile than many TKS/FIKI aircrafts with no chute
IMO for “safe IFR”, you need both FIKI & CAPS, after all FIKI will only clean your wings, you will need a working engine or an open chute to keep it flying

Say PA46 vs SR20, which one is “real IFR”? I guess answer depends on how far you are ahead of the aircraft/weather, I did not fly neither in “real IFR” so just a personal perception/preference…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Apr 23:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ok now I understand. Yes the SR20 has limits that the SR22 does not have. Fuel cost is roughly the same per distance traveled. Maintenance similar as well. The difference is the purchase price (100-150k more for a SR22).

always learning
LO__, Austria

IMO for “safe IFR”, you need both FIKI & CAPS

Surely not; you cannot plan on pulling the chute if you get some ice. Maybe some people do that? It would explain a few things…

The difference is the purchase price (100-150k more for a SR22).

Full TKS is great to have, because icing is really common – basically you get ice in almost any “thick” IMC below 0C. A plane without ice protection can do IMC below 0C only in the thinnest-cloud cases, say 1000-2000ft.

But in the end you have to get the best plane within your budget, and it is crucial that you can easily afford it.

Personally I would not buy an SR22 due to lack of performance, and particularly the operating ceiling (which you need to outclimb IMC; TKS is no good for ice protection enroute and in reality you have to fly in VMC for the most part) but if you need the chute then you have to go for a Cirrus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The SR20 fits the bill as a comfortable 2 adult plus kids IFR in VMC touring plane for flights of 1-2 hours (which gets me to all the nice places from here).
It’s definitely not a serious IFR/IMC contender.

Back to my question… no one has named a number yet ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message