Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus with DFC90 and GNS430 (non WAAS) anybody?

Are there any pilots here (except Boscomantico ;-)) who fly a Cirrus with Avidyne, GNS430 (non WAAS) and the DFC90 autopilot? I would like to hear about your experiences flying ILS approaches. Topics that interest me are the automatic switching from GPS to VLOC on the PFD – and which modes you use to get to the ILS, GPSS or NAV.

I don't think WAAS makes any difference. With Avidyne and DFC90 I used GPSS outbound on a procedural ILS and activated the approach when the ILS was on the front course via NAV/APPR from memory.

The biggest problem I found was the PFD ending up in BC mode if you activated it too early.

EGTK Oxford

The DFC90 manual it self (chapter 4.9) says that there is a difference between GNS430 and 430W

It's not that simple, I just checked yesterday. If you fly with GPSS and then switch to NAV (you cannot switch to APPR) it will intercept the Loc in a 45 degree angle. That part works.

But there is no automatic switching of the PFD to VLOC from GPS1, although the manual says this will happen.

Or do i still misunderstand it, very well possible! GNS is set to "Auto CDI", Approach was loaded AND activated ... but no automatic switching.

Now, it's not a big deal to press the LSK my self to change from GPS1 to VLOC - but if it is emphasized everywhere that this will happen automatically, then it should!

It did switch on mine. But there are parameters on when it will and won't do it. I find auto CDI switching to be problematic even on the G1000.

Actually thinking about it more, I tended to intercept the LOC in GNSS then go to NAV/APPR.

EGTK Oxford

Interesting! I think I will switch off the "auto CDI" feature, just to make it clear that I don't even have it and develop a procedure that's safe. What worked best was HDG+NAV when beeing vectored or GPSS in the standard approach and then NAV and switching the HSI to VLOC manually when close to the Loc ...

I still wonder why these companies cannot invest a LITTLE more money into manuals that are comprehensible on important topics like this. The GNS430 manual does have a paragraph about "Auto CDI" ... but nowhere they explain what that REALLY means, how EXACTLY it works and so on.... same with the DFC90 manual. I have an OLD KING autopilot here that has GRAPHICS for each type of approach ... the DFC90 manual has none of that.

I know nuffink about these boxes but rest assured that you are in good company if you suffer from the Airbus factor (the "what is it doing now" joke).

I have flown with several pilots who had a GNS box and who were completely baffled about how to make it intercept an ILS, using the built-in NAV radio, versus intercepting a GPS track. I didn't have a clue either...

Usually the correct mode is just one button away... just one button

Early on with the TB20, I flew a really quite good LOC into Exeter, but having got the LOC, the GS would not work. We eventually realised I was tracking the GPS inbound, which just happened to be the same mag track as the runway

The old KCS55 kit came with great diagrams of how to fly the various intercepts but nobody seems to do that anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, the King manuals are GREAT!

Actually that's a big mistake these companies make (I wrote computer manuals for some time!) ... the devices are great but the user is really left alone with them.

Once you have figured out HOW the GNS430/DFC90 combination works (or the G1000) it is really unbelievable how precise and good these units are. But there's obviously only a handful of people who know what they are talking about.

When I explained my frustration about this to the best know Cirrus instructor in Germany two months ago he started talking to me like i had some brain damage, with the tone like my grandfather had, and then he put his hand on my shoulder and went... "no, problem, Alexis, I will show you".

15 minutes later, approaching the ILS: "Look here, now you press APPR ...hey, why can't i activate APP?... ok, we can also use GPSS ... wait, what is it doing now (plane turning around towards IAF) ? ... " I then showed him that NAV actually works best.

And it's really almost always like that. And no, i am not exaggerating.

I have been flying a SR22TN with Avidyne and DFC90 autopilot. The auto switching from GPS1 to the localizer is possible. I can't remember what it was that triggered it, but the switch will only be done at the last moment when you are within a certain range left/right of the localizer and not before.

EDLE, Netherlands

As with many of these features, the key is to have a clear plan for when it doesn't autoswitch.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, but I've only flown the plane for 50 hours now ... So i am still working on establishig a standard procedure for a) ILS with vectors and b) standard ILS approaches...

70 Posts
Sign in to add your message