Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Citation Mustang down in Germany

A Mustang has crashed on approach to Friedrichshafen Thursday night.

Aviation Safety Net

Apparently the plane was just about to intercept the ILS for FHA when it lost altitude rapidly and impacted the ground. It was operating under AOC and had 2 pilots and one passenger on board. Unfortunately nobody survived the impact.

Speculation about icing has been brought up as conditions that night would suggest the possibility. Apparently there was no emergency call, which would indicate a rather sudden and unexpected event. All this however is rumour.

The airplane was operated by Skytaxi and flown by the company’s CEO/chief pilot and a copilot out of Vienna. The outfit was close to the now defunct Intersky and had been run by Rolf Seewald until last year.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The profiles I have seen elsewhere suggest a stall from approx 4200 ft. It was bad weather but the Mustang should have been able to cope.

It is the first fatal accident in the type.

EGTK Oxford

Hello Jason,

this would fit the icing theory, however icing should not really be a problem in this airplane unless either the icing equipment was faulty or badly used.

How does the anti/de icing equipment work on the Mustang? Is it still the heated edge and rubber boots combo of the old citations?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

How does the anti/de icing equipment work on the Mustang? Is it still the heated edge and rubber boots combo of the old citations?

It is boots all around. I have never seen icing that it can’t easily cope with and would be surprised if it occurred outside SLD.

EGTK Oxford

No pitot heat, maybe? Icing alone should not bring down a Mustang.

nemaga wrote:

No pitot heat, maybe? Icing alone should not bring down a Mustang.

No pitot heat leads to big flashing amber master caution lights. Unlikely.

EGTK Oxford

How does that work? Is that dependent on the OAT, or is PH always on, typically?

Last Edited by at 18 Dec 11:09

On all turboprops and jets I‘ve flown the PH is always on in the air.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 18 Dec 12:50
always learning
LO__, Austria

No chance to fly Mustang with pitot heating switched off and having no warning lights. It makes sense as practically all flights in Mustang are bellow zero izotherm, normally you plan for FL350 and above. I am pretty sure that the accident was caused by something else than pitot heat accidentally switched off…

LKHK, Czech Republic

Thank you for that. I was sure it’s like that, but did not know for sure. We will have to wait for the preliminary report, but this crash seems to be somewhat mysterious.

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message